Is the TransPac a full-on tech BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it is! Bill Rennaker used it for the first side mounts as well, good for doubles, side mount, and easily adaptable! So it doesn't matter what 5 0f 6 or 3 of 5 say if you consider cave and side mount tech it is! :D

I was looking at going down this path as well from the comfort aspect of the TransPac. I then tried a standard BP/W setup (Halcyon in my case, but I would imagine most any would be the same) and found it to be very comfortable. As quite a few have said before, it just "disappears" in the water. I would go with a standard hog set up and be done with it. You can get one from Dive Rite if you want to stay with that brand.

Gil

While I am not the tech diver that many here are, I can tell you that the Transpac is extremely comfortable for doubles diving. I have made a lot of deep dives on a Transpac with double HP120's and found it to be very stable and comfortable.

Phil Ellis

If you know what instructor or what agency you'll be training with, his/her/their opinion is certainly worth more than all of ours.

That said, a minimalist hog-style BP/W will almost always pass muster. A transpac may or may not.

Is the TransPac an ideal tech BCD

No.

It's a bit of an odd bird really.

It has very few of the benefits of a BP/W, while retaining most of the drawbacks of a traditional BCD.

Just took an IANTD Adv Rec Trimix course. I brought my Transpac and Halcyon with SS plate. After doing the course with the Halcyon and hanging out with a bunch of GUE guys I will stick with the Halcyon for doubles/Tec diving and use the Transpac for single Rec diving.

cheers

No.

It's a bit of an odd bird really.

It has very few of the benefits of a BP/W, while retaining most of the drawbacks of a traditional BCD.

Oh really??!? Is this the voice of experience talking here? Nothing odd about it either. Someone took a Transpac and switched out the soft backpac with a hard backplate and started calling it a bp/w.

How many dives do you have with a Transpac or is this just another gut impression based on seeing one?

With a single tank there's nothing you can do in your pb/w I can't do in my Transpac.

With a single tank there's nothing you can do in your pb/w I can't do in my Transpac.

How about carry 5-6 lbs centered perfectly over your lungs, and placed as close to your center of gravity as possible?

That's nice and all, but the original poster was wondering if it would be a good choice for tech diving in steel doubles with multiple stages. Personally, after making several dives in a TransPacII with AL80 doubles, I switched to a backplate with a hog harness and never looked back. I definately wouldn't want to try mounting my twin HP100s on one.

So what do you think? Is the TransPac an ideal tech BCD or should I rather look at the TransPlate?
I consider the TransPac pretty comparable to the black diamond, so IMHO you'd be wasting money switching to it. I haven't used the transplate, but I don't see that it has any advantages over a plate rigged with a single piece of webbing. If I were in your position, I wouldn't be looking at either, although I've seen tech divers who use them both.

If you want to buy "an ideal tech BCD" so you won't want/need to upgrade later, get a backplate and wing.

Back
Top Bottom