Is the TransPac a full-on tech BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh really??!? Is this the voice of experience talking here? Nothing odd about it either. Someone took a Transpac and switched out the soft backpac with a hard backplate and started calling it a bp/w.

How many dives do you have with a Transpac or is this just another gut impression based on seeing one?

With a single tank there's nothing you can do in your pb/w I can't do in my Transpac.

I would suggest you get a little more experience before you start running down others. If you would like to argue about whether or not the transpac is a tec BD how about going onto GUE or DIR webpage and tell them they have no idea what they are doing......you up for that?

If you like you transpac for for single tank recreational diving then fine, but that is not what this thread is about. It is about technical diving and clearly you do not know much about that.

I have a transpac for sale if anyone wants one.

For me, it makes no sense to add failure points to a system that already works (bp/w) just to increase surface comfort a little.

I have a transpac for sale if anyone wants one.

For me, it makes no sense to add failure points to a system that already works (bp/w) just to increase surface comfort a little.

You may wish to word the "For Sale" post on the Gear Classified board a little bit differently...

:D

I wasn't addressing the OP question. I was addressing your comments and you didn't say how many dives you've done in a Transpac.

Regarding to OP's question... I have no interest in Tech diving and if I had any interest in diving doubles I would probably buy a bp/w. That's why I said "With a single tank, etc., etc., etc.

The OPs question was whether it would be ideal "with steel doubles and multiple stage bottles" yet you are insisting on changing the question with your essentially off-topic comments about "I have no interest in tech diving...with a single tank, etc, etc..."

If the poster asked "Is a wool sweater ideal rain gear?" would you say "Yes, assuming it isn't raining" If the question was "Is a minivan an ideal off-road vehicle?" would you say "Yes, assuming the roads are paved"?

So when the question was "Is a TransPac ideal for tech diving with doubles?" how can you not see the absurdity of the position of "Yes it is, assuming you're not tech diving and diving with a single tank."

You said "it's a bit of an odd bird really," and you said "it has very few of the benefits of a BP/W, while retaining most of the drawbacks of a traditional BCD." Whatever all that means.
Let it go Don, I don't think RJP meant to insult your gear. As someone who used to love diving in a Transpac II, I agree with pretty much everything he said about it... as it relates to technical diving, which is what everyone but you seems to be talking about in this thread.

I'm sure RJP will gladly concede that the Transpac is a lovely BC for warm water single tank diving within recreational limits.

Let it go Don, I don't think RJP meant to insult your gear. As someone who used to love diving in a Transpac II, I agree with pretty much everything he said about it... as it relates to technical diving, which is what everyone but you seems to be talking about in this thread.

I'm sure RJP will gladly concede that the Transpac is a lovely BC for warm water single tank diving within recreational limits.

Absolutely - it's a fine rig for any recreational dive, warm/cold, whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom