Is the TransPac a full-on tech BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh really??!? Is this the voice of experience talking here? .

Yes

With a single tank there's nothing you can do in your pb/w I can't do in my Transpac.

Perhaps that's true, but that wasn't the question. The OP's question was "Is the TransPac an ideal tech BCD?" and the answer to that is an unequivocal NO. (This is probably a case where "no experience necessary" works in terms of ability to answer the question.)

How about carry 5-6 lbs centered perfectly over your lungs, and placed as close to your center of gravity as possible?

Not what I was talking about with that comment. I guess you're referring to a SS plate so I guess you're saying the weight centered perfectly and the center of gravity aspect is negated if one uses an aluminum or plastic plate?

I carry 4 lbs in trim weight. I could go to 6 without a problem. That would match the center of gravity thingie you mentioned.

I'll give you one... There's about 2 lbs of positive bouyancy in a Transpac. You could dive with 2 lbs less weight using a bp/w. I use 10 or 14 lbs depending on the wetsuit.

Compare:

How many divers have switched from a Transpac or similar clone to a BP/wing

with

How many divers have switched from a BP/Wing to a Transpac.

I suspect you'd find very few of the former and an awful lot of the latter and that would speak volumes about whether a Transpac is an ideal tech BC.

Yes

Perhaps that's true, but that wasn't the question. The OP's question was "Is the TransPac an ideal tech BCD?" and the answer to that is an unequivocal NO. (This is probably a case where "no experience necessary" works in terms of ability to answer the question.)

I wasn't addressing the OP question. I was addressing your comments and you didn't say how many dives you've done in a Transpac.

Regarding to OP's question... I have no interest in Tech diving and if I had any interest in diving doubles I would probably buy a bp/w. That's why I said "With a single tank, etc., etc., etc.

Compare:

with

I suspect you'd find very few of the former and an awful lot of the latter and that would speak volumes about whether a Transpac is an ideal tech BC.

Not without knowing why they switched.

I've used both... my BP/W and my X-Tek/W. As far as gear configurations go, I dive with what I find to be comfortable. I did not find my BP/W as comfortable for single tank, but it was more comfortable for doubles.

Geez, it's like you guys are all battling over a religious belief. Oh, wait... I forgot... it is!

Therein lies your problem: I was.

You said it wasn't a tech BC but then you went on to criticise the Transpac.

You said "it's a bit of an odd bird really," and you said "it has very few of the benefits of a BP/W, while retaining most of the drawbacks of a traditional BCD." Whatever all that means.

It's cool man. I get a kick out of this stuff.

drbill: I've seen your BS-O-Meter go off before. You're just more subtle about it. That's probably a good thing.

Compare:

with

I think you mean "many of the former and few of the latter" right? More have switched FROM the transpac TO the BP/W than vice-versa, I would guess.

Having a Transpac and a Halcyon with a SS-BP, I can honestly say that an Ideal Tec BCD does not exist. Main reason being:
Diver body shapes are different. Fit is very important! If it does not fit well it wont perform well.

Having said this I love my Transpac for the comfort, performance and travel ease when rec diving on singles. I love my Halcyon for the bare bones simplicity, durability, ridged fit for doubles and holding deco/stage bottles.

When I showed up for my IANTD Trimix course 10 days ago with both my Transpac and Halcyon, the school did not even consider teaching me using the Transpac and insisted I use the Halcyon. No problem there because that is what I wanted to do anyway. I just wish my Halcyon was a comfy as my Transpac but I have a sofa and LCD when I want comfort.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom