Is there a better way to use a compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you care to add a link for this?

You just have to click on his handle (nickname) in red then click on View Blog Entries and you will be there.

You just have to click on his handle (nickname) in red then click on View Blog Entries and you will be there.

Thanks. Learn something new every day!

Not so much a better way, but a better navigation system. A few years ago I took out a diver with a great device. Have been looking for it ever since with no luck. He had this transponder device that he hung on a rope off the side of the boat. On his wrist he had an electronic device that had a digital needle that always pointed to the device hanging off the boat. It also told him the distance to that device.
If anyone has come across such an instrument please let me know, I thought it was fantastic.

Hand that puppy to narced diver...

I was diving in venice once and needed to take a return course to shore and looked down at my compass and
stared at it for probably close to a minute before it became clear why I was looking at it and also the heading
of east was what I needed. Probably to shallow to be narced but I think I got a pretty good idea of that feeling !

When I'm doing a simple out & back shore dive I do this: Aim the lubber line the way you want to go (ei. straight out, out on an angle to the right, etc.). If the lubber line points close to South (ei. SSE) just keep it pointing that way and go. So you're not using numbered headings and having to keep the bezel lined up on North. Then do a reciprocal heading to return (or swim 90 degrees this way or that first, then do the reciprocal heading toward shore). Of course this is not very exact, but if you're not trying to be too specific as to exactly where you want to go, it's very easy. But, of course, learn all the other "real" stuff too, and toss a lot if it out the window if there's a current, unless you want to do some complicated calculations.

[WIKI][/WIKI]
When I'm doing a simple out & back shore dive I do this: Aim the lubber line the way you want to go (ei. straight out, out on an angle to the right, etc.). If the lubber line points close to South (ei. SSE) just keep it pointing that way and go. So you're not using numbered headings and having to keep the bezel lined up on North. Then do a reciprocal heading to return (or swim 90 degrees this way or that first, then do the reciprocal heading toward shore). Of course this is not very exact, but if you're not trying to be too specific as to exactly where you want to go, it's very easy. But, of course, learn all the other "real" stuff too, and toss a lot if it out the window if there's a current, unless you want to do some complicated calculations.

I actually get that. It (I think) boils down to just noting that "Home is Southwest" (or whatever). Close is good enough in horseshoes, handgrenades and Haldane. This, to me, is the primary life-saving value of a compass. All the high-end orienteering is cool, but just getting yourself back home alive for dinner is primal.

Stay real.

I actually get that. It (I think) boils down to just noting that "Home is Southwest" (or whatever). Close is good enough in horseshoes, handgrenades and Haldane. This, to me, is the primary life-saving value of a compass. All the high-end orienteering is cool, but just getting yourself back home alive for dinner is primal.

Stay real.

Yeah, just taking a reading or general direction as to which way is back to shore is even simpler, assuming you don't want to head out in a specific line or direction. It is also wise to take a return heading if night diving.

Not so much a better way, but a better navigation system. A few years ago I took out a diver with a great device. Have been looking for it ever since with no luck. He had this transponder device that he hung on a rope off the side of the boat. On his wrist he had an electronic device that had a digital needle that always pointed to the device hanging off the boat. It also told him the distance to that device.
If anyone has come across such an instrument please let me know, I thought it was fantastic.

Here is one system. I have not used it but was recently on a boat when someone was using it and swore by it.

Underwater SCUBA Diver Navigation Devices

Stay real.

Generally works fine for getting to a large feature or for getting back to shore. For those occasions when more accuracy is required to get to a specific point, one technique is to impart a small error so you can know which way to turn when you get close. It works best if the point is associated with some linear feature (depth will work). I like to use about a 5 to 10 degree offset and when I reach the linear feature, if I can not see my target, I at least know which way to turn to find it. It can also be done using distance or time in place of the linear feature but that brings in another error source which may be a problem in limited visibility. Combine this technique with way points and you might be surprised what you can do. That is when it is nice to have your compass on a writing slate.

I'll admit that a slate is the way to go for real nav. Along with an easy way to make notations, the biggest benefit is that it better keeps you from constantly trying to turn the compass' North and bezel's "0" to your direction of travel.

Manufacturers' challenge:
Come up with a way to put a user-settable indicator dot on the movable part of the compass so that the diver could set North, move the dot and keep this indicator within the lubber line while swimming. Just like the OP asked. Now that would be useful...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom