Is there a function benefit to different masks? Or decide on "fit" only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out these masks. Visually Enhanced Mask

I tried on masks at 3 shops and settled on these due to fit and quality of lenses. Big difference when looking through.

They are a little pricey, but I have bought some for half the price at my LDS and EBay. They have excellent optical clarity and are great for those long surface swims in the bright California sunshine. Underwater I am able to discriminate my quarry faster even with our low light kelp diving and limited visibility. They are medium volume though and are not frameless.

If you also dive choppy waters with water splashing overhead, I use semidry snorkels. I have lately been using an AquaLung Impulse 3 flex and solid tube. They are monster snorkels though. Large bore, fresh air, non-restricted breathing. I like the comfo-fit mouth piece. I also use a TUSA Platina hyperdry flex. These are 2 brands of very nice snorkels.

It is all a matter of personal preference in all honesty. I bought my first mask in a set on ebay because I liked the color (I'm such a girl! lol) but it turns out it fits nicely and it doesn't leak so I got lucky. Mine has the little "side windows" (I don't remember the technical name lol) and a purge valve. I don't hate them, but I could live without them. I personally don't like my "side windows" because I have a blind spot (it's really funny to stick your hand out and not be able to see it :) ) and if I see something and want to turn my head to see it, it's a lot further of a turn than I think (this is minuscule but a pet peeve if nothing else). My mask has clear silicon but I think the advantage of black (aside from blocking sun) is that it doesn't stain like clear will from the neoprene and such.

Like I said it is up to personal preference, just make sure it fits and doesn't leak! :)

I own a lot of masks (and other dive stuff, but this is about masks)...fit as everyone has pointed out is #1..... but after that, you have:

1. How easy it fits. I have five masks that fit, but only one does not leak with just a small amount of pressure.... the others have to be much tighter... so comfort is next.

2. Air volume. smaller is better.

3. Field of view, where usually bigger is better.

4. How the strap hold... boy, there sure are some stupid straps out there. I use a velcro one, but if you use the one that comes with the mask, make sure it adjusts and is secure.

5. The color...ok, I like black, but only have one. I mostly have clear.. and yes they can be distracting. My yellow one, on the surface, in bright sun, makes everything look yellow from the glare.

6. How easy is it to get to your nose?

7. I have terrible eyes, so need lens... only a few masks have premade ones, but two of those are very nice masks.

What is the advantage of "Black"? My previous one was clear, because I thought it would provide less of a distraction. Is black better?

Quite the opposite for me, clear masks aren't completely clear n where I see through the clear silicon the image is very blurry n is distracting, furthermore in South East Asia, it is so bright n sunny that I sometimes wish I had shades even underwater lol! A black mask cuts out the glare n gives my eyes some respite from the sun.

Free divers n spear fishermen don't use clear masks as it distracts them from their target. Just checkout sporasub, Omersub etc n you'll see.

Clear masks also gets yellowed by the sun, frequent usage n contact with neoprene.

The only issue is that if you get a black mask that doesn't have good viewing angles, it can be like looking through a tunnel n can be claustrophobic for some divers.

There are many good low volume single plane mask like the scubapro frameless, atomic frameless, Oceanic shadow, just give them a try at the shops. I also found cressi matrix, Tusa M-26 VIEWTREK PLUS and Mares x-vision/pure vision to fit a wide variety of faces. On a side note, if you get a mares please get it from an authorized dealer as I had 3 break on me within 3 months :depressed:.

Cheers,

SangP

I agree fit is by far the most important thing. I'm a gadget loving engineer, so I've tried a good 4-5 masks, the two I use now are the cheapo aqua lung one I first bought and use as a backup----cost 20 bucks but doesn't leak! Than I also have my main mask which almost never leaks and cost 60.

Previously I tried the Hydroptix double dome mask and wanted to really like it and make it work but it leaked like a sieve and a complete pain in the a**. Honestly for me, if I'm always thinking and worrying about clearing the mask, it's a huge distraction and makes the dive much less enjoyable. Having the huge field of view was nice but not worth it in the end, also goes to show that purge valves aren't the greatest idea the world-----good in theory but not so much in practice, keep it simple when possible and really clearing a mask isn't very hard so why they insist on the purge valves is puzzling.

Than I also tried the Apollo mask, cool little mask, very high quality but the nose pocket was too small and again caused it too leak.

In the end, being able to enjoy the dive and not constantly worry about clearing it and wasting air is much more important than field of vision or other features.

For some reason I find black silicone masks to be more comfortable than clear silicone of the same model. It feels softer maybe?

Back
Top Bottom