Is there a new tank close to the old steel 72 in buoyancy shifts and weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have twin 63's I dive on a DH. As short as they are, it makes it perfect for the "lower" orientation needed.... useless as a single for deeper diving (unless you are my wife)...

I miss the old 72's I had... shop torqued (deformed) the valves, and back 10 years ago, you couldn't find them... trashed them... big mistake....

I have twin 63's I dive on a DH. As short as they are, it makes it perfect for the "lower" orientation needed.... useless as a single for deeper diving (unless you are my wife)...

I miss the old 72's I had... shop torqued (deformed) the valves, and back 10 years ago, you couldn't find them... trashed them... big mistake....

I dive my 63 cf tanks like most dive their 80s. I usually surface when in a group with 1200 psi in my 63 and they are all hugging 300 on their 80s. We do not all have the SAC rates or efficiency underwater, therefore we do not all need large tanks and some need yet larger tanks. An 80 is overkill with me unless I want to wear the Coz dive guides out or if I am hanging with a few of the vintage crowd who also apparently use very little air for a given time.

A few years ago there was a whole group of us and all had more in their tanks than the guide after an hour who finally cried uncle because he had to go potty, and we had hit 120 feet give or take before working shallow. In fact, I think that dive went 1.5 hours. The dive guide confessed that most of his customers were up in the boat at 30 minutes. The little fellow had made the mistake of referring to us as "old." A 63 is enough, plenty for some, not enough for others.

I have a couple of Faber LP 6.9 inch 85 cf tanks. I love them for diving with my 5mm suits and such as that but way to negative to ever compare to a steel 72 for bare skin diving.

N

like the VDH plate? (just "funnin'" with 'ya.... wish you could do one for my 6'-7" frame....)
A 4'x8' sheet of metal and I can make anything.

---------- Post added March 6th, 2015 at 11:29 PM ----------

I dive my 63 cf tanks like most dive their 80s. I usually surface when in a group with 1200 psi in my 63 and they are all hugging 300 on their 80s. We do not all have the SAC rates or efficiency underwater, therefore we do not all need large tanks and some need yet larger tanks. An 80 is overkill with me unless I want to wear the Coz dive guides out or if I am hanging with a few of the vintage crowd who also apparently use very little air for a given time.

A few years ago there was a whole group of us and all had more in their tanks than the guide after an hour who finally cried uncle because he had to go potty, and we had hit 120 feet give or take before working shallow. In fact, I think that dive went 1.5 hours. The dive guide confessed that most of his customers were up in the boat at 30 minutes. The little fellow had made the mistake of referring to us as "old." A 63 is enough, plenty for some, not enough for others.

I have a couple of Faber LP 6.9 inch 85 cf tanks. I love them for diving with my 5mm suits and such as that but way to negative to ever compare to a steel 72 for bare skin diving.

N
I had a dive buddy (Steve) a long time ago that was the same way with air. One time he was diving off a charter boat down at the Channel Islands (cold water). On one dive he told me, he made an AL80 last an hour and forty five minutes. The DM's on the boat were ready to call the CG and begin a search when he came up, still at 900 PSI!. I don't know how the hell he did it. What's even funnier is there were two other guys on board with doubles and prior to the dive the rest of the boat was giving them the stink eye thinking they would be the one to hold up the boat, and they were back to the boat way before Steve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom