is there any way to prepare for scuba panic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't training for freediving,breath hold skills and also practicing mask skills with the snorkel be helpful? I know they helped me greatly when I realized that I had a gap in my training and went back to plug the hole.

My first advice to anyone asking about learning SCUBA diving, or asking about improving diving skills is to take up free diving. Breath hold, mask, snorkel and, weighting skills as well as becoming comfortable in your exposure suit (around here 7mil +) are a lot easier without a tank. The most important survival skills for both are the same and you don't have the task loading of SCUBA to worry about when free diving. You don't have to be a competative freediver, I'm sure not, to learn a lot about diving and breath control.

As an added plus, I can scout a dive site free diving and if the entrance, exit, or any other part turns out to be unacceptable for SCUBA, I don't have to find out the hard way.

Bob
----------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

To the OP,
One of the best posts ever on a diving forum was made by a chap on Scubaboard called Diver0001.
I'm paraphrasing what he wrote and the original post is worth a read. He describes a method he uses to handle problems underwater.

He outlined a system he uses:-
A - air - Do I have enough gas to breathe - does my buddy? Where is my gas if there's a problem?
B - buoyancy - Can I remain stationary in the water column if something goes amiss ?
C - communication - Can I talk candidly to my buddy before I dive and during the dive will my buddy respond to my signals?
D - Do - Can I do what it takes to solve a problem that I or my buddy have?

I added my own E - Examine - was there something I or my buddy could have done better during the dive and what lesson did the experience bring?

If you work on answering the questions I outline above I think you'll find it a little less worrying underwater.
(these questions are not exhaustive by the way - just a means to get you to think about stuff)
As everyone has said: you have to work on skills, practice what you have learned.

My buddy/instructor always picked on me..knocking gear off, knocking regs out, etc. I got used to it. Later on, on the occasion something actually happened, I was able to just deal with it as if it was nothing.

NOTHING prepared us for another buddy that went into a full blow panic at the bottom of a 100ft Cavern. He took off for the surface, and my instructor took off after him, holding him down finally at a certain point just to not get an embolism and slow him down. He kept putting the reg in the buddy's mouth, but the buddy kept spitting it back out, there was no stopping him from surfacing. Finally he was able to get him controlled to the surface enough not to get an embolism.

The buddy later wrote a paper on it afterwards on everything that went through his mind, his entire thought process, etc. It was a very interesting read. This buddy is normally always calm, collected, chill.. he never gets upset or panics about anything. But this small sequence of events that happened in this cavern that day just set something off in his mind and there was no way he could stop it. He said it was very strange fighting your body...it was going to do what it wanted to do, and would not take no for an answer. He said he knew what he was doing, but could not control it. Panic is a very interesting beast.
He had some water in his lungs for a bit, but everyone was ok afterwards.

We learned a LOT that day from that incident and from the paper he wrote for us to read later.

Moral of the story is... you just never know what will set you off, when your time will come, what your threshold is until it happens.
Just being prepared with redundant equipment, having a buddy with a level head close by, and practicing for anything you can will help... but may not always be the right thing when you need it.

Also, you might want to consider using a long hose for your primary regulator and a hose with your secondary regulator on a bungee around your neck for your second regulator. That way, if the regulator ever gets knocked out of your mouth you can easily reach down without even using your hands and get that second reg into your mouth instantly.

^ this. rejiggered my setup to this configuration a few dives ago, and it Just Works; don't even think about it, just nod and snag the secondary.

can be a bit much on the task loading with a long hose initially; totally not DIR, but i did find having my 5' primary hose connected to the reg with a 90' elbow and bolt snapped via a clip retainer to the bottom right d-ring kept things tidy. the additional weight of a small bolt snap counteracted the braided flex line floatiness nicely.

i don't run the head wrap layout as the flex hose chewed at my neck / shoulder. secondary on necklace is setup the same, 90 deg elbow, with a normal rubber 1m octo hose, also routed under right arm. neither reg has any noticeable drag or pulling in any head orientation.

only downfall that i've found is that you're necklaced into your rig, which can make the don/doff drill a bit ... interesting.. if you forget about it.

depending on how DIY friendly your LDS is, you can source the shock cord, bolt snaps and attachments from them; haven't been able to find the 90 deg elbows anywhere locally, so were sourced from DGX.

Last edited:
corvettjoe, any possibility of posting that paper or a link to it?

I'll talk to my buddy and see if I can de-personalize it and share it.
It's a great read and really helps with trying to understand a full blown panic.

^ this. rejiggered my setup to this configuration a few dives ago, and it Just Works; don't even think about it, just nod and snag the secondary.

can be a bit much on the task loading with a long hose initially; totally not DIR, but i did find having my 5' primary hose connected to the reg with a 90' elbow and bolt snapped via a clip retainer to the bottom right d-ring kept things tidy. the additional weight of a small bolt snap counteracted the braided flex line floatiness nicely.

It doesn't actually require a long hose at all for your primary. I ran around for a while with "standard" length hoses (~32 inches) and bungied my backup with no problems. When it was time for some other equipment tweaks, I added the 5 foot long hose primary and a slightly shorter (I think 24 inches) secondary hose but I can't really say it's that much different than with the original hoses.

Point being, a piece of bungie for your octo is about $1 and doesn't actually require any other equipment changes but does add a lot of peace of mind and some streamlining too.

It doesn't actually require a long hose at all for your primary. [...] Point being, a piece of bungie for your octo is about $1 and doesn't actually require any other equipment changes but does add a lot of peace of mind and some streamlining too.

you're right, you can do the bungee secondary with 'normal' length hoses. only issue i can think of is the crowding of the right upper d-ring; likely not an issue for most people, but it did not feel 'right' when i tried it that way.

personally went with the 90s to completely clear out the area around the shoulder/upper d-ring, and to prevent 'hooking' of the reg when looking left. the 'rec standard' hose configuration without the angle adapters would smack whoever is swimming on the right of the buddy pair straight in the face (dive with wife, we swim side by side in very close proximity).

I like to get the panic over and done with early in the day. Set your alarm 1/2 hour later than you think you should and then have someone hide your car keys and one fin for you. By the time you finally get to the dive boat you will already have gotten over panic for the day.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

you're right, you can do the bungee secondary with 'normal' length hoses. only issue i can think of is the crowding of the right upper d-ring; likely not an issue for most people, but it did not feel 'right' when i tried it that way.
Hmm, I've never used my chest D-ring for either hose, whether using long or "standard" hoses. I can see how clipping one off there might cause some crowding, though. I just put my octo over my shoulder and my primary under my arm... no worries. Works basically the same with the long hose... I don't use a double-ender on the long hose like most people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom