Is there competition between NAUI certified divers and PADI certified divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We should have a fund raiser benefitting Charlie Sheen's Ex's. It could be a competition between different agency certified divers.:catfight: The prize could be a big ol' polished chrome badge that says, "By far the coolest diver and best agency.":cool3::medal:
Competition catagories would include:
1. Best exposure protection.:cold:
2. Who looks best in exposure protection.:gorgeous:
3. Best hair-do.:fro:
4. Most effective distribution of Agency logo patches and cert level patches.
5. Most exotic locations with fancy stamps in logbook.
6. Who can use most agency slogans per sentence during normal conversation.
7. Who can give the most convincing argument for using each of the following:
a.) Spit fins, force fins, or paddle fins.
b.) Integrated octo, bungied back-up, or traditional octo.
c.) Jacket BC, Back inflate, or Backplate/Wing.
d.) Favorite colour, Blue or Yellow.... Aaaaaaggghhhh!
8. Tie breaker is, who has the most Facebook friends.:facebook:

Did I miss the group hug? Have the two agencies joined to sing Kumbiah yet? I love it when they do that!

I took my OW through NAUI, but on the day of our final test my instructor, who also taught PADI offered the PADI card for an extra five dollars. All we had to do was learn the PADI tables. Years later, an instructor at the shop I worked at offered to take my then wife and me from OW2 through AI for only the cost of the books. We took him up on the offer, but it involved two years of helping with classes, helping him move from a two story house (twice) and house sitting his sock-eating dogs a few times.

We wear drysuits to teach wetsuit-clad students. I don't think it's unreasonable. We tend to end up spending much more time in the water than any individual student does. It's also really important that we remain alert and physically capable during the entire dive day. (It's also true that neither of us OWNS a wetsuit suitable for Puget Sound.) I'd rather teach the students in dry suits, but not all of them want to pony up the extra money to do that.

I was thinking about the original question -- with the exception of their tech or cave diving certs, I have no idea WHAT agency certified most of my dive buddies.

OH okay, that was just another little tid bit not something we were terribly concerned with. It was just a thought that came up. Those are great points! thanks for the info. His attitude was the main concern...

I know exactly who you are talking about and he is very annoying. He has made a name for himself every place he has gone. Texas, Florida, California, Cozumel; he is plague that can not be cured. The best thing you can do is ignore him, and he will leave.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

A lot is over doing it, maybe just little, but he is still annoying.

Last weekend he was out at Travis in his drysuit, and he was beet red. If you were Central Texas last weekend, you know it was hot, and my group of friends were out there for at least 3 hours. He never unzipped his drysuit. When I was leaving Windy Point, I was thinking to myself, "in a little bit the instructor, is going to have to provide medical assistance to his DM, because just passed out from a heat stroke."

You might be surprised, he is pretty clueless when it comes to people around him, but I will give him credit, he is book smart tho.

This particular person is on Scubaboard, and he goes by RAKPIX.

HAHA well if this IS infact the person I'm talking about. I hope he reads the thread.

This. I'm a DM and soon-to-be instructor, and I use a drysuit most of the time for the reasons listed. Longer in-water comfort means that my head stays clear to be able to react to emergencies. I don't want my mind, reflexes or judgment dulled by cold just so I can "be like the students", (a practice BTW, that is over-emphasized, IMHO). I do however, layer my thermals appropriately, so I can approximate the chill factor for them.

I also dive a twinset (when in OW) to save constant tank-switches, more redundancy, and because, well, I REALLY like diving twins.

Yea couple others posted the nearly the same reasons (which are very good points btw) It was just another thought that came up, not our main concern which was his attitude...

I took my OW through NAUI, but on the day of our final test my instructor, who also taught PADI offered the PADI card for an extra five dollars. All we had to do was learn the PADI tables. Years later, an instructor at the shop I worked at offered to take my then wife and me from OW2 through AI for only the cost of the books. We took him up on the offer, but it involved two years of helping with classes, helping him move from a two story house (twice) and house sitting his sock-eating dogs a few times.

What?? He still made you pay for the books...

I am a PADI trained diver and my buddy is a NAUI trained diver. ON one of our first dives together, my dive computer disconnected from the hose. We got up on the boat OK- we were lucky because we were only at 30' but we were very unhappy with each other up to that point. I don't know if the agencies tell you to do different things or the instructors do and it could happen within an agency- but if diving with someone you didn' train with you might want to get some agreement beforehand on the "what ifs". As far as I was concerned any boat ladder would work- we could sort it out later- and he wanted to get back to our ladder. After much un-orthodox hand signalling we got it worked out and then realized at the surface we were each told to do different things. Then we made sure we agreed on what to do if we had a more serious equipment malfunction, if we got separated, etc.

To this day I don't know if it was an agency difference or instructor difference.

No- I have never heard of or experienced any rivalry or unfriendliness between PADI or any of the other agencies. Hope I never meet the guy you told us about.

He is book smart, yet socially completely inept.

Examples:
I was on a charter with lake travis scuba once with him. He was eating trail mix and had dropped peanuts and all over the boat floor and had them all over his body...when Robert asked him if any was getting in his mouth he blamed Robert's DM. I though that DM was about to choke him or bitch-slap him...too bad he held his temper.

Another charter ... he just walked to the gate of the boat and pisses all down the boat and all over himself due to the wind...

Another time he jumped off the boat with the camera in his hand with no light. For a night dive.

Being over 90min late for a volunteer dive at Aquarena

As the DM/tour guide at Aquarena, totally blowing the bottom with absolutely no control of his buoyancy. Nice way to set the example huh?

Informs out of state divers that can just show up at Aquarena center to dive for fun, without being in training or being a certified volunteer diver.

Banned from Tom's for buying a compass & taking out to put in a DSS mount and breaking it....this after being told not to do it b/c it would break then tries to take it back for refund/replace. Nice.

He can tell PSI of a tank by the way it bangs on the ground.

That is all I can think of off hand.

I have heard he's getting better too

HoLeY CrAp O'la!! :dropmouth:

I have meet some wierd divers but WOW! :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom