Is this a good deal/choice for a set of doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Tomorrow I plan on buying my first set of doubles and want to hear if you guys think this is a good deal. I will use these for my Advanced Rec Trimix class and I'm thinking they could also become deco bottles in the future.

2x Steel 72's Recent Hydro and VIP.
DiveRite isolation manifold with DIN valves.
2x Bands.

$150

My local shops will not fill those bottle, regardless of condition or hydro status.

Why wouldn't they??

My shop will fill them. For single tank diving I have a pair of Faber 112's I use primarily and when jacked up I have a lot of gas. Plus a couple 80's for days we have more than two drops. :)

My instructor wants me in doubles for this course and I'm not shleping two of those 112's together anywhere!!! I don't even want to think about picking them up to put them in my truck. Lol

The manifold itself appears to sell for $200 new so I think this is a good deal, but I don't know if I'm overlooking something or if it's a poor choice for my first set.

I am a fan of 72's and like them for their size. Most of them are only rated for 2250psi, but I have seen some that were rated for 2400psi. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can over-fill them like is common with some LP steel tanks. They are much older tanks and just not as thick as most of the other LP tanks in use today.

Even though I think this is a decent buy for that setup.. I don't think it will be an optimal combo for a deeper tri-mix dive. For close to that package size, you would much better off with a pair of LP85 or HP100s.

Why wouldn't they??
They are "too old".. they make the rules..

My wife used to love them..We had two for her and she could dive longer on a 72 than i could on a 100 cuft aluminum (and I could get 1.75 hrs in very shallow water- if I was mellow).

There is a really good chart on the size/weight/buoyancy of all the popular tanks out there. (I will link to it if I can remember where it is). ...in any case, all large capacity steel tanks are not created equal. Some are thick, heavy buggers that are several #s neg even when empty. Some are much better.

If you want smaller tanks, than its hard to beat LP85's. At some point I want a set of LP108s (don't remember which make), but there are some that have really good weight/buoyancy for their size.

I currently have a set of LP95s that are not too bad, and a set of PST LP104s that feel heavy enough to anchor the Enterprise.

I suspect you were kidding about the step up to a CCR, but in reality.. You will need a bail-out bottle at that point anyway.. So I don't see how you can go wrong buying a decent sized set of doubles.

BTW: I keep the 72s around for my kids to use at singles, and when I feel like playing around with sidemount in open-water. I will add that I have seen divers using double 72's in Blue Hole (aka Jug) due to their low profile in a cave that most only get into with sidemount.

That looks good if they are in hydro and vis. I think I spend 500 on double80s from DGX. Just be sure that's enough gas, for example I know GUE cave 1 requires more gas than your doubles will hold.

Tomorrow I plan on buying my first set of doubles and want to hear if you guys think this is a good deal. I will use these for my Advanced Rec Trimix class and I'm thinking they could also become deco bottles in the future.

2x Steel 72's Recent Hydro and VIP.
DiveRite isolation manifold with DIN valves.
2x Bands.

$150
72s are nice tanks and are similar to hp100s / lp85s in capacity with good bouyancy characteristics. Personally I'd shy away from them if they are the 1800psi rated tanks or the lined 2250s. The 2400s are really nice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom