is this a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replys, this really helps. Most people have weighed in on the BCDs but what about the regulators? Has anyone tried the Oceanic Alpha 7 or the Zeagle Envoy?

We are trying to get a complete set of gear each so we have to leave money in the budget for wetsuits. I was kind of wishing to go straight to dry suits but this stuff starts adding up pretty quick.

Originally posted by kpauley
Thanks for all the replys, this really helps. Most people have weighed in on the BCDs but what about the regulators? Has anyone tried the Oceanic Alpha 7 or the Zeagle Envoy?

We are trying to get a complete set of gear each so we have to leave money in the budget for wetsuits. I was kind of wishing to go straight to dry suits but this stuff starts adding up pretty quick.

check this link: http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/2001gear/2001regs.shtml

if you want to go for drysuits you should just wait a little longer and save up the money you need. I wouldnt waste money on a wetsuit if you know you want a drysuit. :)

I have the Oceanic Alpha but not the Alpha 7. I love it. It is a fixed flow regulator. In fact I have one on my octopus as well. It is alot more comfortable than other regs I have used in the past. I have had these regs since 1999 and have not failed me yet. Unless I am mistaken Rodale's had them listed in the Tester's Choice award I paid around $300 for each of them. Welcome to the family too. Glad to have you with us.

As for exposure suits I think once again shek's right save your money and go for the drysuit. There is no sense in getting a wetsuit if it is going to hang around collecting dust and/or deteriorating.

You didn't mention if it was the unbalanced piston (SP4) or the balanced diaphram (CDX) first stage. A few of my friends have the Alpha 7/CDX and love them. Its a neat little regulator. As mentioned in an earlier post, Rodales raved about the Alpha 7s and rated both regulators as testers choice and best buys. They were also the only "budget" regulators to pass the Navy standards at 198 ft. in their testing. I say not a bad choice for the money.

Originally posted by kpauley

the Envoy first stage is NOT sealed... basically the same as the DS4 except for environmental seal... but if you are diving cold water, you probably want to go the 50D or DS4. My wife loves her 50D... cost does jump up, of course.

I agree with the post that said to not bother with the console. After 50 dives, I'm moving to the bp/wing setup and ditching the console... found it bulky and not always convienent to see gauges... especially during ascents. Wrist mounted computer and compass... spg only where console would be... clipped off on hip.

I can sympathize with the cost adding up... purchase my gear last year... wife purchased hers in may of this year. Replacing my gear now because I realize which direction I want to go, and now my wife sees my new setup and is debating switching over from her zeagle concept... Moral, I guess, is try and rent various setups.... might cost a little more initially to rent 1/2 dozen to a dozen (or more) times... but I think it'll give you an idea of what you want from your equipment and prevent the "buy a rig now, be happy with it for 6 months, get unhappy with it/see a better way, buy another rig" syndrom.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom