Is this common or was I just unlucky?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have and love my Zeagle Stiletto. Back inflate, pockets, weight integrated. Never had a problem with it. Once I got the weights spread out, 3 lb in each pocket and 2 lb on each side on the cam band trim was great and no real feeling of throwing me on my face on the surface. I tried on the Knighthawk and it just didn't seem to fit me.

Thank you everyone. I ended up going with the Pro QD i3. Found one for $250, brand new.

. . . but was also offered a pro qd for a decent price. Is the pro qd a jacket or back? I dove with one once and I could have sworn it was a jacket. The seller is trying to convince me that it is a back inflate though.. ... I ended up going with the Pro QD i3. Found one for $250, brand new.
A very good price. I just hope you didn't buy it from the same seller who tried to convince you that a Pro QD is back-inflate, though. :) It is not. It is the newest, tricked out, iteration of one of the long-standing, widely used jacket BCDs, formerly marketed under the SeaQuest brand.

If Aqualung still made the standard, non-weight-integrated, non-I3 version, I would buy one to replace my worn out SeaQuest Pro QD, as a pool / OW BCD. But, they don't, and the nearest equivalent is now the Wave.

Never had that issue with a Knighthawk or Seahawk. Just check your gear before diving and make sure nothing is tangled.

One more thing to look at, but a much more comfortable dive, IMO.

Thanks again everyone. I knew it wasn't a back inflate! Glad I didn't buy it from the same seller (I purchased this one online).
I'm afraid the size may be too big but was hoping you guys could help me out:

I'm 5'11" 150 lbs
The ML is rated for 5'10"-6'0" 160-190 lbs (I believe)

Would I be fine with the ML?

Nice thing about BP/W..... 1 size fits all

I'm not familiar with the specific BC that you bought, but it is my experience that it is far better to be in a BC that is slightly too small, and therefore snug and stable, than one that is overly generous in size, and sloppy on your body. Since you are at the bottom end of the size range for the ML and below the weight range, I would worry that it will not be possible to adjust it to a snug fit, unless you are using very thick exposure protection.

I'm not familiar with the specific BC that you bought, but it is my experience that it is far better to be in a BC that is slightly too small, and therefore snug and stable, than one that is overly generous in size, and sloppy on your body. Since you are at the bottom end of the size range for the ML and below the weight range, I would worry that it will not be possible to adjust it to a snug fit, unless you are using very thick exposure protection.

That's what I was concerned about as well. I usually wear a 7mm wetsuit and a 12 oz thermo-guard under it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I have weight pockets on my BP/W and I positioned them farther back on my waist belt than my Intregrated BCD. This has help me greatly with my surface buoyance as it moved my vertical center line back.

Oldbear, that's what the captain on the boat told me to do with the back inflates. I didn't have any issues related to face planting into the water thankfully.

I just received the Pro QD

It's fits well. It's snug against my body with about 1/2" of space if I pull the straps away from my body. The velcro is snug but I had to pull it all the way. I moved my body left and right, and there was a bit of play.
That is how it fit without my 7mm wetsuit, just a t-shirt.
Based on that description, do you think it will fit well with the wetsuit? I'll be picking it up tomorrow from my dive shop (my buddy put a hole in it trying to cut me out of some kelp)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom