Is this for real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, the fact that they keep making more rules and can't/ don't enforce the basic ones should be a sign that we don't need more rules/regulations.

Nobody even understands half the stuff they come up with.

catherine96821:
well, the fact that they keep making more rules and can't/ don't enforce the basic ones should be a sign that we don't need more rules/regulations.

Nobody even understands half the stuff they come up with.
Isn't it up to the civil courts to enforce these once someone gets hurt and the rules weren't followed? :D

It is true. 29CFR1910 or code of federal regulations that was adopted by the state of Hawaii. Required boat to be manned with divers in the water and certified dive master standing by for safety with divers in the water. It also falls under IMO under SOLAS or safety of life at sea so even if you are in international waters they can still enforce it. Talk to some Coast Guard buddies and they confirmed.
This is for business's if you are diving on your own you are on your own or with friends and you just need a dive flag.
No idea on enforcement policies for all you operators.

okamiotoko2004:
It is true. 29CFR1910 or code of federal regulations that was adopted by the state of Hawaii. Required boat to be manned with divers in the water and certified dive master standing by for safety with divers in the water. It also falls under IMO under SOLAS or safety of life at sea so even if you are in international waters they can still enforce it. Talk to some Coast Guard buddies and they confirmed.
This is for business's if you are diving on your own you are on your own or with friends and you just need a dive flag.
No idea on enforcement policies for all you operators.
Ok, that covers the DM topside.

But what about the original question of only *guided* dives -- i.e. DM in the water?

Hawaii State rule! At least I was right about doubting it was a Coasty rule.

okamiotoko2004:
Required boat to be manned with divers in the water

Are you sure this is not the captain?

okamiotoko2004:
and certified dive master standing by for safety with divers in the water.

Wouldn't this be the guide?

Duuhh! This is what the op's are doing, by the rules. The captain could have been the guide before this rule (and sometimes was). The only question in my mind is where the spotter rumor started?

Doesn't mention anything about having to have a DM in the water with the divers, just a certified DM topside should something happen and someone needs to get in the water and/or someone to help people in and out of the water. Does not have to be the captain. The captain also does not have to stay on the boat as long as there is a certified operator onboard or the boat/ship is adequately moored or anchored.
Also the Coast Guard is essentially a law enforcement agency of the federal government, they don't make the laws or rules they just enforce them.

OK, when did this rule go into affect. Are you saying your CG buddies are saying that if the captain is the only person on board while divers are in the water he has to be a DM and there does not have to be a DM in the water?

I read boat manned / dm with divers, just like is currently done by all the op's.

halemano:
I read boat manned / dm with divers, just like is currently done by all the op's.
Looks like you twisted the words a bit. The words were: "certified dive master standing by for safety with divers in the water". I'd think it would say "with the divers" for your interpretation. I read it to mean a DM topside is the minimum, in the water would also cover it. Sounds like most US dive charters like this, regardless of the state. Due to the poor skills of most visiting tourists and their lack of familiarity with sea life, the Hawaiian ops go the extra distance.

The Coast Guard at HIRSA told us a few years back that it was a new regulation (at that time) to have deck hand in addition to the captain on drifts anyway.

At first, everybody was all upset until they realized nobody was checking.

It's not like the Coast Guard can approach the boat when they have divers drifting.
lol, I have seen captains tell them that too, on the radio. "Sorry, once I get my divers up...I'll be right there"

Yes, I guess the courts could "enforce" to a degree but to be honest most people driving boats and working as dive guides do not think that way (understandably). They are trying to get through the day, do the dives , and not get boarded and ticketed.

Whenever I ask about anything at all (like "WHO is dead on my kid's boat for the last 12 hours?"... they have the "whole Pacific" and Homeland Security to worry about.

..Let's not give the government too much credit.

Back
Top Bottom