Is this for real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba and Dream:
Ok this is scary...you mean to tell me that they didn't even dive the site suring the day, that this was their first dive in 10ish years...and they had never been on a night dive?

Do I read that right?

People are looking for a single tank night dive, even though they haven't dove in years, quite often in Kona. Most operators have gone to two tank dives only.

Part of the problem you have here is that the night dive has the reputation of being the "must do" dive here, and when someone who hasn't dove in quite a while decides they gotta try it they ask around about what the "must do" dive is and they hear "manta dive" from message boards, other divers, even stores on the mainland. Few take time to think a night dive isn't a good idea as your first dive back in the water after a long layoff.

I used to work the one tank dive 3-4 nights a week several years back for another operator, Matthew's description is pretty accurate. Now that I'm on my own the policy is a late afternoon dive followed by the night dive unless you've dove with me recently. I have to expain why I require the first dive to a significant portion (say a quarter or more) of the callers looking specifically for night dives.

fishb0y:
Honestly LioKai & Cuddlefish, do you really think that any charter boat owners/operators are skimping on your safety just to make a couple of bucks? I'm sure that they understand that with one major incident on their boat, their business is done.

How about instead of scaring people about the big bad dive boat owner (even though many are owner/operators)... try holding divers themselves up to their responsibility for their own safety.

Uhhhh, didn't realize I was scaring anyone. Anyway...I DO know of at least one company that saves money by paying under the table. There is a fine line between employee and independent contractor...and some are tempted to step across that line. Funny, same operator is known to let the captain dive in order to video. Not saying this is inherently unsafe...but it is a violation.

Back
Top Bottom