Is this PADI instructor still licensed to teach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....call PADI and inform them of his attempt to portray himself as an instructor before someone gets hurt.

You leapt to conclusions so bad, I think they'd consider you for the next Olympic long-jump team.

Leeeeaaaapppp.......

1) Why would you assume someone would get hurt...

2) Why would you assume he is "attempting to portray" himself as anything. He's a qualified instructor... I bet he's got a certificate somewhere. He may not be 'active status'... but unless he specifically claimed that, then what has he done wrong?

Does paying PADI fees equate to being a safe and competant instructor? I didn't renew this year (as explained before). Did I become dangerous, when my status expired?

If this instructor claimed he was active status and taught the course without the renewal, then he would be breaching PADI standards. Nothing more, nothing less.

If this instructor booked the course, then renewed his PADI status, then there would be no issue whatsoever...

I'd mention to the instructor that PADI does not list him as current. It could be an error at PADI or the guy is going to re-up once he has some students.

Last edited:
Like a lot of people I have my membership on automatic renewal. Last year the company issuing the credit card I used for that renewal had a security breach and therefore issued new numbers to everyone. It was not a card I use often, and it did not occur to me that I had used it for the membership renewal. PADI sent me an email notification, but they somehow had a mistake in the email address, so I didn't get it. The only way I found out I was no longer an active member was when I sent in the certification information for some students and it was turned down. I made a phone call and the problem was solved. They sent the students their certification cards immediately.

You leapt to conclusions so bad, I think they'd consider you for the next Olympic long-jump team.

Leeeeaaaapppp.......

1) Why would you assume someone would get hurt...

2) Why would you assume he is "attempting to portray" himself as anything. He's a qualified instructor... I bet he's got a certificate somewhere. He may not be 'active status'... but unless he specifically claimed that, then what has he done wrong?

Does paying PADI fees equate to being a safe and competant instructor? I didn't renew this year (as explained before). Did I become dangerous, when my status expired?

If this instructor claimed he was active status and taught the course without the renewal, then he would be breaching PADI standards. Nothing more, nothing less.

If this instructor booked the course, then renewed his PADI status, then there would be no issue whatsoever...

He may have been booted for issues we do not know of.As to hurt someone,no insurance ,so if student gets hurt who pays for it?He has not been current since 2008..

Man look please just contact the INSTRUCTOR before you go crazy with all this investigative work. It is really slow right now and he may not have had students in a while. Not being current on your insurance DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BAD PERSON. You like him for a reason to dont just give up for stirr up more crap then needed.

Call him up and tell him that on the website he is not current. Ask him why. Then ask what he plans to do with that. If nothing good comes out of that then maybe call PADI.

One other question Is this guy an independent instructor r does he run out of a shop?

I don't buy my insurance through V&B. Every year I go out of teaching status with PADI because if you get your insurance through Willis or Witherspoon PADI gets a hair across their ass and won't accept the insurance certificate without prodding. I rarely teach a PADI course, so usually I don't bother prodding them. That doesn't mean I'm not in teaching status (with somebody), it doesn't mean I'm unsafe or someone will get hurt, and I have no problem representing myself as a current teaching status instructor. I'll even teach a PADI course if the student wants one, it just takes a phone call and a fax to PADI to make it happen. Assuming that there is a big conspiracy going on is silly.

He may have been booted for issues we do not know of.

And you'd assume that? And advise the OP on the basis of that assumption?

If the guy was suspended, he will be listed in the QA section of the PADI website (as someone already mentioned).

If he was suspended, why would he even bother to offer PADI courses? That'd be outright fraud...and would take things to an entirely new level. Again...that senario is a huge assumption to make when giving advice...

As to hurt someone,no insurance ,so if student gets hurt who pays for it?He has not been current since 2008..

Again... given the multitude of potential reasons why the website might not list him as active status... and given the fact that he has not yet started to teach the course.... and given that he can arrange the insurance in 15 minutes... that would be an entirely pointless assumption to make.

OK Thanks for all the information. I suppose contacting the instructor and politely checking what his situation is might be the best thing to do.

However, I know for a fact that he is teaching other customers now, and given that the site says that he hasn't actually been current since 2008 doesn't that mean that actually he is teaching illegally, or could it just be a mistake on the site?

If he is teaching illegally then I don't know whether I should contact him or PADI first.

Another person I know recently also got their advanced with this guy. I have seen their card, which I don't know how this would be possible if this guy isn't current at all.

Very strange.

I check the expelled instructors list at PADI and he isn't on that page anyway...

Consumer Alerts - Quality Management Reports - PADI Scuba Diving Training Society

Another person I know recently also got their advanced with this guy. I have seen their card, which I don't know how this would be possible if this guy isn't current at all.

Then something is wrong. I know that when my membership accidentally lapsed my students could not get their cards.

The new PADI site is error-prone. Whether that is relevant here I don't of course know. What somebody said about his credit card not being valid also happened to me, and it was some time before I realised.

But this insurance business is a complete red herring. I don't know whether PADI check insurance records before issuing professional membership renewals, but I doubt it. Insurance is required in the USA and possibly (?) Canada, but nowhere else in the world. It's certainly not required in the UK, nor I believe in Japan. It's not required anywhere in the Caribbean.

Ask the instructor and/or ask PADI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom