Is this used regulator a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m new to diving, just became open water certified and have fallen in love with diving. I’m trying to save some money on buying a used regulator and bcd because I plan on going all out on my drysuit and not cheap out at all. ...

I want equipment that will be good enough for Atlantic Canadian water temperature (summer and winter) as well as good for depths to 100 feet. This regulator set is going for just under 500$. Do I need to dig deeper into my pockets for a regulator or do you think this might be a great option for me?
Maybe try pairing a SP MK17 with a G25 or G260? A C370?

Maybe a Halcyon H-50D (same as non-EVO MK17, but still in production) with a C370?

Offered **just for reference as what might be available used** - not advocating by any stretch, but I see right now on fleaBay a used MK17 w G250/R295 and Uwatec (SP) SPG for just under $450, but as to anything on fleaBay, it will require service (looks a tiny bit a little crusty). If it were on SB and offered by certain people, I would take their word for it and serviceability - not fleaBay, craigslist or Facepage Marketplace.

Local dive store currently lists and H50-D and Halo brand new at $720 ($385 + $335) -- Scubapro MK17 Evo + G260 combo for $799. Both of those setups are directly comparable but the Halcyon only comes DIN - I suppose your could slap a scubapro yoke on there if you preferred yoke. (the MK17 and H-50D are the exact same regs and parts are interchangeable...)

I have become a tiny bit of a fanboy for the SP MK11/MK17 (and the H-50D) first stages. At it's heart the MK17 is like an MK11 with a sealed chamber. I have mostly those and a couple AAs and HOGs.

No direct experience yet, but I would also look closely at some of the options offered by some folks on SB like Deep6 (manufacturer), DGX, or any number of folks here that have retail shops.

@Nemrod why would you remove the case from the sm36? it works just fine with the plastic case over it and it really doesn't add much bulk. that cluster is modular so you separate and just keep what you need or want. its not worth the asking price, but other than the janky LPO, the gear is fine and will do the same dives as atomic or scubapro.

Palantic AS-101

I have one of these sets as my daily diver and it works great. Service kits are available on Amazon.

that version was made from 2002 to 2011, so best case is about a dozen years old. and that octo was always janky. i just don't see it being a good deal at 500.

Great regs, 1st stage and primary, but not at that price. Half that price would be more like it for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom