ISDA Newfoundland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would love to see this organization grow, it would help the diving scene in newfoundland get more people into it and get divers out diving more.

I think the biggest thing newfoundland needs is for people to find out what good diving we have here, we have everything from wrecks to plant life, many kinds of fish and much much more to see. more people need to get involved in the sport, here in corner brook i have a hard time getting out diving becouse of no dive buddy.

I think a well made dive video from waters all around newfoundland that people could publicly view weather it was on tv or even on the internet would help. Im sure a good video of some shipwrecks could get on the local news no problem, that would spark some intrest.

TN Diver:
Sorry Folks,

Work has kept me from the water and keyboard. Really unfortunate that people on the west coast of the province has not heard of the organization or other people on the island. My problem with it all, is the fact that it seems like Ontario and BC and other provinces have a united underwater federation or some type of organization but yet here in Newfoundland, it always seems there is the divide and conquer attitude (especially in the Greater St.John's Area). Would people around the island support such an organization if they were notifed of a such group.
Well, I think that divide and conquer attitude is found all throughout the dive industry. I've just moved to Ontario and I'm amazed at the amount of politics and fighting amongst the dive shops here. SOme of it is extremely childish.

Some kind of organizations where the shops work together would be great. Diving in NL is still in it's infancy but I've noticed that over the last couple years it is becoming more widely known outside the province. That's really good news. As for attracting local divers, doing the cleanups like the one talked about on the website is a great way to get publicity.

jiveturkey:
Well, I think that divide and conquer attitude is found all throughout the dive industry. I've just moved to Ontario and I'm amazed at the amount of politics and fighting amongst the dive shops here. SOme of it is extremely childish.

Some kind of organizations where the shops work together would be great. Diving in NL is still in it's infancy but I've noticed that over the last couple years it is becoming more widely known outside the province. That's really good news. As for attracting local divers, doing the cleanups like the one talked about on the website is a great way to get publicity.

I would definlty be up for a cleanup any excuse for me to get out diving im up for it

Brand0n:
i would love to see this organization grow, it would help the diving scene in newfoundland get more people into it and get divers out diving more.

I think the biggest thing newfoundland needs is for people to find out what good diving we have here, we have everything from wrecks to plant life, many kinds of fish and much much more to see. more people need to get involved in the sport, here in corner brook i have a hard time getting out diving becouse of no dive buddy.

I think a well made dive video from waters all around newfoundland that people could publicly view weather it was on tv or even on the internet would help. Im sure a good video of some shipwrecks could get on the local news no problem, that would spark some intrest.
NorthEast Dive News did an article on Conception Bay in the Aug issue. It was a good article. So, NL is starting to get some exposure. you might be able to still read it online.
When I mentioned at my LDs that I was born in NL, a few people asked me about it, and a few of us are thinking of heading up next June to do some diving.
One question that was asked was....is it possible to do a dive charter and dive around an iceberg. Can you answer it? My reply was I doubted it, as most boats try to stay away from 'bergs. Am I wrong?
Chris

Vtdiver2:
NorthEast Dive News did an article on Conception Bay in the Aug issue. It was a good article. So, NL is starting to get some exposure. you might be able to still read it online.
When I mentioned at my LDs that I was born in NL, a few people asked me about it, and a few of us are thinking of heading up next June to do some diving.
One question that was asked was....is it possible to do a dive charter and dive around an iceberg. Can you answer it? My reply was I doubted it, as most boats try to stay away from 'bergs. Am I wrong?
Chris
Yes it is possible to dive on/near icebergs... go to Oceanquest web site and contact them or just send an email to info@oceanquestcharters.com and ask for some pics of diving on icebergs and they will be happy to help you out.

Having said that...we had a very poor Iceberg season this year... Lets hope it's better next June...

Joe

Diver Joe:
Yes it is possible to dive on/near icebergs... go to Oceanquest web site and contact them or just send an email to info@oceanquestcharters.com and ask for some pics of diving on icebergs and they will be happy to help you out.

Having said that...we had a very poor Iceberg season this year... Lets hope it's better next June...

Joe
forgot to give you the web site it's www.oceanquestcharters.com

Cheers

Joe

Brand0n:

BrandOn: Have you seen the DVD "Newfoundland Aquarelles"? It is the best underwater video of Newfoundland I've ever seen. There is a lot of footage taken under icebergs as well. Check the link below.
http://www.shopdownhomer.com/pgi-ProductSpec?28720

Thanks mike gonna order it tommrow. cant wait to watch it

Hello all Michael Pretty here President of ISAD NL . A volunteer not for profit organization that is trying to bring the wonders of diving in NL to others in NL, in Canada and the world. Check out or web site www.isdanl.com look at our mission statement and goals.

Send me a message from the site or to mpretty2@nl.rogers.com I would gladly send you an application form, info package, newsletter and any other info you want. Start a group in central we have members there or in Corner Brook that is where I grew up peautiful place.

I ca assure you that we are trying of help if you have a concern offer a suggestion and be part of the solution. The next meeting will be 13 November all are welcome. If we had a group in other parts of the Province you could have meetings as well. Our next news letter should be posted by Wednesday. It in fact address some of the points in the emails. Please pass our website and organization to any diver in NL we have been trying. Your help would be appreciated.

Cheers and Yours in SAFE diving Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom