ISDA Newfoundland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand0n:
I would definlty be up for a cleanup any excuse for me to get out diving im up for it
Brandon, I'm from Pasadena, I understand your frustration at the lack of organized diving events on the west coast. I started diving in St john's and enjoyed the group events there. I joint the Bay of Islands Scuba Club but that was a flop. I would be interested in some group scuba activites on the west coast with or without ISDA NL.

Unclescubatrev/BrandOn
I appreciate where you're coming from. My husband and I are fairly new to diving and it's even difficult to find out what dive shops are on the island and where you can get air outside of your area. I appreciate that the islan is large and sparsely populated, but that its beauty not a shortcoming and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. We need to compile lists and have them readily available for not just places to dive and locations of wrecks. We can let the authors, ot word of mouth take care of that.

We need locations of services at shops with qualified techs and what air/nitrox/oxygen supplies are available where and actual directions that mainlanders can understand (or us townies for that matter). Where are there diver friendly places to stay (places that won't mind you washing and hanging up your gear.....).

People need a user friendly place to access regulations so they won't accidentally go astray. Lists of dive clubs that are still active and maybe a contact so they can get info when they are going to be in the clubs area to locate a buddy familiar with the area.

I think these might be directions ISDA-NL should head. To be a source of info for all people to link them with diving and the diving industry in Newfoundland and Labrador. What do you guys think. Maybe I can bring that up at the next ISDA-NL meeting. Not just staying with the problems of the Avalon but trying to link the whole province as a dive destination.

Tell you what if anyone has any info they think we should try to disseminate send it to me. I'll see what I can do.

(I'd love to a Coastal Boat diving tour of the South Coast and maybe Labrador, now that'd be a trip, not the warm water but our home waters)

Sue

Sue,
You may want to check out The Combined Atlantic Diver Guide by David N. Barron (ISBN 0-9693141-6-7). I got this for xmas and it gives basic info on wrecks and other sites all around the atlantic. There are 120 pages of details on dive sites in NL plus another 300pgs on the Maritimes. It's really great. Not perfect but it'll get you started.

I've provided a link to amazon but it doesn't seem to be available through them now. Maybe you could look around on the net a bit or even try the publisher directly (Northern Marine Research, Halifax). My girlfriend's parents bought it for me and I think they picked it up at a shop in Gros Morne.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...87694/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_0_6/702-2509922-0194441

I'm pretty sure that the book is no longer in print, but I think it's sold in CD form now. We've had our copy for a few years, and it really comes in handy.

Guys
It was nice to get the Book reference. Ihav that book and don't find it helpful at all for Nfld. That is unless you have a Zodiac at your ready disposal and can trailer it to isolated sites around the island. The maritime museum site is a good thought, but neither of these have the information we have in our heads about our local areas, services, places to get air, where to stay, and ACCESSible dive sites. The book gives dive sites for (illegal) grubbing and other removal activities.

Lets try to preserve the marine environment so the next time and subsequent divers can have the same experiance we had the first time. This not to say you shouldn't partake in beach clean-ups and discourage paople from abusing the marine environment and polluting (tossing garbage over the side/off the dock).

I reitterate: If you have ino about services and recommended sites to dive in Nfld. or a particularly good place to stay close to an accessible dive location let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Sue

Well actually, quite a few of the dive sites I looked at in this book were shore dives. The ones in Bottle Cove or in Norris' Point for example. Also check out the canons in Bauline. I did that one a couple summers ago. It was lovely. There are lots of great dive sites in Newfoundland but for the really good ones, you'll probably need a boat. Finding an intact shipwreck 10 feet from shore is hoping for a bit much.

As for a compilation of information, instead of grumbling about it on the internet, why don't you start to compile it. Someone has to do it, right? Don't hold your breath waiting for someone else. Start a website or something.

To quote me:
"Tell you what if anyone has any info they think we should try to disseminate send it to me. I'll see what I can do."

My next entry:
"If you have info about services and recommended sites to dive in Nfld. or a particularly good place to stay close to an accessible dive location let me know and I'll see what I can do."

To quote you after my entries:
"why don't you start to compile it. Someone has to do it, right? Don't hold your breath waiting for someone else. Start a website or something."

Am I beating a dead horse here. I don't live everywhere in the province and right now there is no source for as lot of the info. fordive trip planning in the province. Like (I say again) Dive shops, Dive Clubs and contact people, places to get air..... If you have this infop get it to ME and "I'll" see what "I" can do to get it out there in an easily accessible manner. I know where to do and get this stuff in and around St. John's but I don't live in Central, on the Bonavista Pen., Burin Pen., Pot Aux Port, Northern, Labrador,........ you get the picture.

If you have information that you think someone thrying to plan a dive trip in around or across the province might want send it along and "I'll" see what "I" can do.

I hope you now understand.

Sue:huh:

Hey Guys I am still with ISDA and so is Sue if you send her the info we will post it to the ISDA site for all to share for free next week check out out dive site page it sjould be uop anbd we should try to use the stabndard format byt any and all information will be listed.

Sue said "If you have this infop get it to ME and "I'll" see what "I" can do to get it out there in an easily accessible manner. I know where to do and get this stuff in and around St. John's but I don't live in Central, on the Bonavista Pen., Burin Pen., Pot Aux Port, Northern, Labrador,........ "

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom