Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody ever been there? I looking a visiting that place this April and was wondering if the diving there is decent?

Thanks!

Diving there is decent. If you see a description of diving in Cancun, it's basically diving at Isla Mujeres. Cancun dive operations go to dive sites near Isla Mujeres, which is just a few mile offshore from Cancun. I haven't stayed on Isla Mujeres yet, although I've looked into it. I used to dive a little in Cancun. It was fairly good. The dive sites are generally exposed to the prevailing winds, so if the wind gets up, they close the harbor. You are generally diving in surge. These are typically low-profile reefs, but the marine life is abundant.

I take it you want to stay on Isla Mujeres? There are a number of dive ops over there. Very nice for snorkeling. Diving is decent.

Drop an email to benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk and ask him for a recommendation. He has a dive op in Cancun and knows a lot of the operators.

having been to both, i would skip isla mujeres and go to cozumel instead.

1) coz has better diving. there is no comparison.
2) coz has much better food. much better. much much better better.
3) coz has better nightlife.
4) coz has better dive ops, with a wider array of boats. isla mujeres only has the dinky six packs, which may be good enough to get to the nearby dive sites, but they are not comfortable, shaded, and dont seem to provide water or snacks. i dont actually mind the six pack little canoes, but if you are diving with someone who prefers more room, or a platform, you have no choices. furthermore, i have found the dive ops on coz to generally be more knowledgeable of their sites and the conditions.

things in isla mujeres favor:
1) the one point in isla mujereses favor is that they have some very nice beaches to the north of the island.
2) being a smaller island, it might be more child friendly, as there are fewer people, cars, and it is less urbanized, not that coz is a teeming metropolis, but mujeres is a sleepier island.

for me, one time on isla mujeres was plenty. i would happily go back to cozumel though.

Thanks! I am only looking at this place because my wife likes nice quiet beaches and nice hotels. She is interested in a hotel called Secreto that is located in the island. I'm also looking at Cozumel and have norrowed the hotel to Occidental Grand if I choose Cozumel.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Gussy:
Thanks! I am only looking at this place because my wife likes nice quiet beaches and nice hotels. She is interested in a hotel called Secreto that is located in the island. I'm also looking at Cozumel and have norrowed the hotel to Occidental Grand if I choose Cozumel.

Again, thanks for all your help.

wow, nice choices. Secreto looks very quiet, and is just blocks from downtown, which is nice. the east side beaches tend to be a little rougher, but from the looks of it, you may be near the zazil ha lagoon, which is nice to paddle about it.

for scuba, occidental is right by the reef system and near punta sur, so if you like their scuba op, that would be really convenient, but it is sorta far from town if you want that.

sounds like youll have a great vacation no matter what.

I'll be doing Coz and IM back-to-back with my wife as well the last week of April... my first time in Yucatan. Just locked in our lodging. Still interested to hear recommendations on IM dive op and IM sites. Spent gobs of time pouring over TripAdvisor.com reviews of IM lodging... very mixed, some scary. Finally decided on Villa Kiin (aka Cabanas Maria del Mar).

PM me if you want to share data. I'd like to hear whatever tips you might pick up beyond the posts. This board has been a wealth of info for me the past week. I don't dive often, but I'll be looking here whenever I do.

My husband and I just stayed at Hotel Villa Kiin (and I posted a review on tripadvisor about it!). You can't beat the location. My recommendation is to make sure you're not in their budget room. In particular, avoid room #3 - that's where we were, and it was the worst room at the hotel. Everything else was way nicer. There is good snorkeling directly in front of the hotel, and it's an easy walk to all the restaurants and dive shops. The best ceviche is at Buho's (where your included breakfast will be). There is a great hammock garden at the hotel. We loved that town!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom