isla mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have stayed in the hotel Avalon at the tip of the island several times. It has good basic rooms and a decent but expensive resturant. You can snorkel in the bay there at the hotel and the view is awsome. There are lots of resort type places at the other end of the island. Feb. is a great month to go down. The diving is good and the sailfishing is in full swing. There will be lots of fishermen at that hotel. The night life is good too. I found a guy with a small panga and used him for my dive trips. He put me on some sites with very little traffic. I rented tanks from one of the shops on the island it was a fantastic trip.

I understand that in July and August it is a great place to see whale sharks. I was only there to party 30 yrs ago

Hi,

I just got back after 2 weeks of diving on Isla. there are several good shops on the island. I dive with Enrique's Unique Diving which is on the main street (Medina) in front of La Tigrena restaurant. Everyone considered the water cold (77), but I was comfortable in a full 3mil suit.

A couple of other good shops nearby are Cristal Diver and Carey Divers.

As far as places to stay, there are several downtown to suit all budgets.

Have fun.

Travelure: I really enjoy Isla. Can you give your opinion on the quality of diving. I have not read many trip reports but I am interested in diving there if it is decent.
Thanks

Hi,

There is all kinds of good diving along the Mexican Caribbean. So I won't say Isla is the best.

But if you take the diversity of dives, from drifts to wreck to sleeping shark caves and protected areas with lots of life and combine them with the island lifestyle there are few places on this coast that can compare.

The sea life is pretty good: Sting Rays, Eagle Rays, Loggerheads and Hawksbill turtles. Big (cuda, sail fish, jack) & little fish, dolphins, etc etc.

I have been diving Isla for about 12 years now and go back 4-5 times a year. I consider my stays on the island as if I was going to the cottage. I rent a hotel or apt. depending on the length of my stay.

If you have any specific ? PM me.

Sam

Thanks for the report. I like Isla and was there in December for a couple days but didn't dive . I will go back soon and this time get under the water.

I'll second the recontamination for Enrique's Unique Dives. We spent a week with him a few years back and he was a real pleasure.

Louis

Back
Top Bottom