Islamorada/ Key Largo recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dedezelic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We’ll be going to dive in the Islamorada and Key Largo area late June and I was hoping for some recommendations of charter ops to go with that would be good for a group that includes a newly certified 13 year old. Thanks!

Amoray and Sea Dwellers in KL have both been good dive with for me. Amoray has lodging there too if you want that, and Sea Dwellers used to offer dive and stay packages with the Holiday Inn in KL. Amoray is a nice stumbling distance from the Caribbean Club, wife and I had a fun there a few nights at the end of Jan. Dive bar without food.

I’ve worked with Anna at Amoray for diving arrangements, hoping to get AOW there in May with my oldest son while down there for a long weekend.

Hope that helps.

Key Largo Dive Center is my recommendation. Always had a great experience there. They furnish a dive guide on every dive so it's really good for less experienced divers or divers not familiar with the local sites.

I was hoping for some recommendations of charter ops to go with that would be good for a group that includes a newly certified 13 year old.
A little additional info. might be handy. By now, you may've booked or moved on, but I figure it's still worth addressing.

1.) When you say 'charter,' do you mean a dive boat where you guys go but there are other customers on board, or a private charter with just your group? I assume the former.

2.) Is having a no-added-cost dive guide a big deal? Rainbow Reef Dive Center and I think Key Largo Dive Center are known for that. Some Key Largo dive op.s don't. With the 13-year old new diver along, and you likely watching out for the kid, I imagine a guide to follow is a good thing.

3.) Is a fairly big dive boat vs. a little '6-pack' a concern? Some people like larger, more stable boats, and some like little boats with few other people. Different strokes for different folks.

4.) How many dives/day are you after? Back in 2013 with Rainbow Reef Dive Center I got in 4 dives/day, 20 in 5 days.

5.) Does the dive center offering a package deal simplifying online booking appeal? Rainbow Reef Dive Center's website is informative and you can 'build' a package.

I liked Rainbow Reef Dive Center 9-years ago, but not everyone wants the same thing in a dive op. Whatever you do, if you go, please let us know how it went when you get back.

Thanks for all the replies! Since I didn’t get many replies I did some online research of reviews and made some calls. We booked with Key Dives for one day and Sunsports for the other. Both have good reviews and are 6 packs and since we also have 2 snorkelers with us we’re doing shallow reef dives. Both ops seemed pretty accommodating and there’s a DM/guide in the water with us. I’ll post back afterwards. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies! Since I didn’t get many replies I did some online research of reviews and made some calls. We booked with Key Dives for one day and Sunsports for the other. Both have good reviews and are 6 packs and since we also have 2 snorkelers with us we’re doing shallow reef dives. Both ops seemed pretty accommodating and there’s a DM/guide in the water with us. I’ll post back afterwards. Thanks again.
We just booked with Key Dives for a few dives 6/13-6/16.

Went with Rainbow Reef last year and couldn't find a complaint if I tried. Just trying different Keys and different Dive Ops this year.

I was really pleased with Rainbow Reef - very professional and you could do your boat waivers by texting a number.

I really like the Spiegal Grove dive also. Kinda like the Hilma Hooker bucket list dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom