Island hopping .... should I worry ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In all honesty, I would give DAN a call about this as well. Sometimes talking with someone puts things into better perspective.

Personally, I wouldn't chance it. As was mentioned, there is always the possibility that the plane will have to climb to a greater altitude than planned. Way too many variables to be effectively safe.

I am also curious about the pland and flight profile? Another question I would ask is if the airline or charter service normally flies divers in similar circumstances.

Jeff

Hey fdog I was curious about something, when you dive in Lake Tahoe do you always drive back thru Truckee or do you go over Mt Rose, I did my Altitude Cert up there in July and planned to, and did come back by way of Truckee as the instructor was adamant about not going over Mt Rose. There were three others in the class that had come from Sacramento and some how didn’t realize they were not supposed to ascend after diving at altitude. It was interesting to watch the D-sat time on my computer change as I drove down in to Reno it went from like 18 hours at the lake to less than 6 when I got to Reno.

Back on track, I would be weary of light planes because as they ascend you are getting less oxygen, I don’t know for sure if that could increase the possibility of DCS but I would keep it in mind. I try to stick to the general rules about flying but if my computer says its Ok to fly I usually will if it’s the only way I can schedule my flights. But I am a bigger guy with a higher body fat ratio so I know that I probably build nitrogen a little faster and more than my computer is accounting for. I wish they would come up with a computer that you could enter your weight and BMI (Body Mass Index) so I could get a more accurate picture of my Nitrogen retention.

purchase straight oxygen and breath it from 10 ft underwater and use on land and in air until you reach the island again.

Man, I hope this island hop is worth it dude.

Charlie59:
Man, I hope this island hop is worth it dude.

:wink: Thanks to all of you who gave feedback on this ... much appreciated !!!

Taking in consideration too many uncontrolable variables, I have decided not to take that trip .... :no

.... and in response to Charlie59 ... This coming April, I am planning a 2 week / 20 dives vacation to that particular island .... :D :D :14: .... some of us have it good :lol: :blinking:

Beter be safe than sorry !!!!

And like I always say : DIVE SAFE !!!

purchase straight oxygen and breath it from 10 ft underwater and use on land and in air until you reach the island again.

Do you think any air charter in their right mind would let someone---without a medical reason---breath 100% pure oxygen at cruising altitude? Should they ASK for trouble? Not to mention any TSA regulations (US, but i'm sure there are international equivelants)

:D Dude, never let reality affect your dreams. Anarchy rules and small planes allow dangerous stuff.

I was kidding anyway, I think.

2 weeks and only 20 dives, must be kinda boring there. Going to Roatan in October and hope to dive over 20 times in 1 week. Man, pick up the pace.

Charlie59:
2 weeks and only 20 dives, must be kinda boring there. Going to Roatan in October and hope to dive over 20 times in 1 week. Man, pick up the pace.

Hey Charlie59, you're right ... 20 dives in 2 weeks is pretty boring !!!! :lol: :lol:

2 weeks = 14 days.

Minus day 1 fly in and 24 hours before flying, that leaves me 12 days of diving.

12 days at 3 dives a day = 36 dives ( available ) :D

Since I'm fairly new at diving ( only been diving for 6 months now ), maybe I will restrain myself to 30 dives ....:coffee: :14:

now you're talkin

Wayfarer2:
Hey fdog I was curious about something, when you dive in Lake Tahoe do you always drive back thru Truckee or do you go over Mt Rose, I did my Altitude Cert up there in July and planned to, and did come back by way of Truckee as the instructor was adamant about not going over Mt Rose. There were three others in the class that had come from Sacramento and some how didn’t realize they were not supposed to ascend after diving at altitude. It was interesting to watch the D-sat time on my computer change as I drove down in to Reno it went from like 18 hours at the lake to less than 6 when I got to Reno.

<snip>
Our return depends. Like where we dove, and what our exposure was.

From the northeast side of the lake, about the only places to worth diving are Sand Harbor or Stateline. So if we're there, the fastest way home to Reno is over Mount Rose Summit, which is +2700' as I recall. If we have a low depth exposure, that's the way we go home. For more exposure, it's over Spooner Summit or Brockway (+1000'); for a serious exposure we'd go back through Truckee (+0').

If we dive any portion of the north or west side of the lake, we just go back through Truckee, it's way faster. So the amount of exposure doesn't really matter.

To determine the amount of exposure, we use the TOD and the NOAA tables. Generally you'll find that two typical 30' Sand Harbor dives will allow you to drive over Mt. Rose immediately; a typical 60' dive lets you go over Spooner immediately; 80' on Rubicon, back through Truckee.

It is a good thing that your class made you very well aware of the hazard. Good planning and understanding, however, will let you vary this safely.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom