Island hopping .... should I worry ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdog:
Our return depends. Like where we dove, and what our exposure was.

From the northeast side of the lake, about the only places to worth diving are Sand Harbor or Stateline. So if we're there, the fastest way home to Reno is over Mount Rose Summit, which is +2700' as I recall. If we have a low depth exposure, that's the way we go home. For more exposure, it's over Spooner Summit or Brockway (+1000'); for a serious exposure we'd go back through Truckee (+0').

If we dive any portion of the north or west side of the lake, we just go back through Truckee, it's way faster. So the amount of exposure doesn't really matter.

To determine the amount of exposure, we use the TOD and the NOAA tables. Generally you'll find that two typical 30' Sand Harbor dives will allow you to drive over Mt. Rose immediately; a typical 60' dive lets you go over Spooner immediately; 80' on Rubicon, back through Truckee.

It is a good thing that your class made you very well aware of the hazard. Good planning and understanding, however, will let you vary this safely.

All the best, James

Thanks for the info! We were at Sand Harbor, what a great spot to start out at but I am looking forward to trying some other spots next time I get that way.
Thanks, Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom