Isle Royale in Lake Superior....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by roguediver
I would like to dive the great lakes some day does anyone have any information on dive shops and boats in the great lakes. Thanks.

The Straits of Mackinac has some of the best Great Lakes diving in Michigan. The OLN channel featured some of the wrecks on their Sports Diver program. I dove with McComb Scuba Center, Capt Larry McElroy. I like their operations and all the times I have booked with them, they are done a great charter. If you call them, they have a video of the wrecks, 586-558-9922. Lost Yooper dives with Abyss, abyssdivecharters.com. There are some great books about the wrecks of the Great Lakes. Check them out.

Bring the industrial strength DEET!!!! The Isle Royale ecosystem is an entity unto itself. The bugs, mosquitos and other creepy crawlies are everywhere.

Yes the Island has wolves, but good luck spotting one, they're a little shy.

Last time I was there (cant remember the site number off the top of my bald head) Bullwinkle dropped a little breakfast bisquit for me just outside my tent door....well more like a 10# stinking mass...good thing I pulled my boots in for the night....I dont think he even cared that we were there until I started screaming at the top of my lungs when I smelled his morning suprise!!!

ENJOY

If you're looking for Great Lakes wreck info, the most comprehensive site out there is the Great Lakes Shipwrecks & Research: http://www.execpc.com/~bbaillod/
Has some info on the shops & boats as well.
:D

Well all, I just thought I would let you know that in two days I will be heading up to Isle Royale in Lake Superior for my week long live aboard. It has been a long wait but the time is finally here. We will have a long trip ahead of us just to get there but I believe it will all be worth it. I will post all my dives as soon as I get back, along with how the charter opperation ranked. Wish me luck.

Jeff Great lakes diver

Back
Top Bottom