It’s Back! Seismic Testing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is unlikely to have any effect on diving, given the lower sound levels of such research and the distances between the surveys and the diving.
2015 Draft EIS Page: 54

“Significant impacts on, or conflicts with, divers or diving activities would be avoided through communication with the diving community before and during the survey and publication of a Notice to Mariners about operations in the area. In particular, dive operators with dives scheduled on the shipwreck Lillian during the survey would be contacted directly.”

http://www.nsf.gov/geo/oce/envcomp/amended_mountain_nj_margin_ex_draft_18dec14-b.pdf

2014 Final EIS Page 52

“Significant impacts on, or conflicts with, divers or diving activities would be avoided through communication with the diving community before and during the survey and publication of a Notice to Mariners about operations in the area. In particular, dive operators with dives scheduled on the shipwrecks Lillian and Maurice Tracy during the survey would be contacted directly.”

http://www.nsf.gov/geo/oce/envcomp/nj-seismic-research/nj-final-ea-1-july-2014-with-appendices.pdf

Interesting to note the omission in the latest Draft EIS of the wreck of the Maurice Tracy, as well as the complete lack of notification to divers last year.

OP, you'd be well-advised to get your facts right before attempting scare-mongering.
There is nothing “scare mongering” in my posting of the documents involved in this event. I leave it up to the individual to make up their own mind by reading the documents themselves.

Interesting to note the omission in the latest Draft EIS of the wreck of the Maurice Tracy, as well as the complete lack of notification to divers last year.

The 2015 document is not a Draft; it is the Final. It has been likely updated based on survey sites, plans, and review input.

There is nothing “scare mongering” in my posting of the documents involved in this event. I leave it up to the individual to make up their own mind by reading the documents themselves.

Yes, you are scare-mongering. Your list of documents includes many that are quite specific to oil drilling. You are betting that people will not engage when you overload them with extraneous material.

[/FONT]
The 2015 document is not a Draft; it is the Final. It has been likely updated based on survey sites, plans, and review input.

Interestingly enough the site I obtained it from labels it a Draft:

Draft Amended EA (pdf)
Open date:
12/19/2014
Close date:
1/25/2015*
(*Because several holidays fall within the public comment period, an additional 7 days have been added to the NSF standard 30-day public comment period.)

US NSF - GEO - OCE - environmental compliance

And the title from the document:
Draft Amended Environmental Assessment of a
Marine Geophysical Survey
by the R/V Marcus G. Langseth
in the Atlantic Ocean off New Jersey,
Summer 2015

Yes, you are scare-mongering. Your list of documents includes many that are quite specific to oil drilling. You are betting that people will not engage when you overload them with extraneous material.

I am betting nothing. If they want more they can do the same research that I have done. You are welcome to post URLs to any documents you find refuting what I have posted.

OP, you'd be well-advised to get your facts right before attempting scare-mongering.

Good news on the proposed Seismic Survey off Barnegat Inlet later this summer. “NSF has decided to extend the public comment period by an additional 15 days above and beyond the 37 days it was planned to be open for comment. The public comment period will now close on February 9, 2015, 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time.”Last year’s attempt was stymied by equipment failure and to our knowledge no announcement or warning was issued to our community. Please let them know what you think of this situation by sending an email comment to:

nsfcommentnj@nsf.gov

We are searching for studies done on the effects of their equipment on recreational divers and will post and inform our community when the final Environmental Assessment has been published. The proposed Environmental Assessment can be found here:

http://www.nsf.gov/geo/oce/envcomp/amended_mountain_nj_margin_ex_draft_18dec14-b.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom