It’s Back! Seismic Testing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdiver1, Thank you very much for those coordinates. I found those as well. I found others also. I realize these are so close to one another that it would be pretty odd for these to be three separate ships. So ok, that's the rough area, and as such basically within the climate science research area.
But what about the depth?
From one reference I came up with 156 feet. Would you say that's about right?
and, as I asked, what would be the procedure such that divers be alerted, if your own widespread alerts are not sufficient?

njdiver1, Thank you very much for those coordinates. I found those as well. I found others also. I realize these are so close to one another that it would be pretty odd for these to be three separate ships. So ok, that's the rough area, and as such basically within the climate science research area.
But what about the depth?
From one reference I came up with 156 feet. Would you say that's about right?
and, as I asked, what would be the procedure such that divers be alerted, if your own widespread alerts are not sufficient?
This is what they (R/V Marcus G. Langseth) are on record of doing:

“Conflicts would be avoided and, therefore, impacts would be negligible, through communication with the fishing community and publication of a Notice to Mariners about operations in the area.”

Page 52

“Significant impacts on, or conflicts with, divers or diving activities would be avoided through communication with the diving community before and during the survey and publication of a Notice to Mariners about operations in the area. In particular, dive operators with dives scheduled on the shipwreck Lillian during the survey would be contacted directly.”

Page 54

http://www.nsf.gov/geo/oce/envcomp/amended_mountain_nj_margin_ex_draft_18dec14-b.pdf

njdiver1, yep, I read that. And it seems to be the case, don't you think?
"impacts would be negligible..."
Or are you specifically seeking-out conflicts within this particular climate research project?
So...how should divers be contacted directly, or how should they have been contacted?
It seems you could help?
And...it's 156 feet down?

Back
Top Bottom