Itinerary help for inexperienced OW diver traveling solo: AOW on liveaboard or before? Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie L

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi - I am headed to Thailand in a few weeks for a solo trip and am totally overwhelmed. I could really use some help figuring out how to put diving into my itinerary.

I'll have a short version of this question and a long version with more specific concerns! See below.

DETAILS:
- Flying into and out of Bangkok
- 16 days total in Thailand
- I chose Thailand for my travel destination primarily because I wanted to do a dive trip and get more scuba experience, so I am trying to plan my trip around that, but...
- ...I want to leave some adequate time to enjoy Bangkok, Chang Mai & a bit of northern Thailand
- Since I don't own equipment or have regular access to local diving (nor a buddy) at home, the backpacker dive scene is great for me given the group structure and likelihood of there being other solo travelers to learn with or pair up with.
- My first and only dive experience was my Open Water certification in Utila, Honduras a few years ago, so about 5-6 dives
- I'm a 30 year old woman and while I like the social aspect of the backpacker scene, I'm not a hard partier. A fun bar scene would be cool but it's not a priority. I'm not headed to a Full Moon party or anything.

ok!

SHORT VERSION: You have 16 full days in Thailand, an Open Water certificate, and about $1200. You're traveling alone and plan on staying in backpacker-friendly hostels. How do you spend your time? What gear/equipment do you make sure to bring ahead of time? (GoPro, your own mask/snorkel, etc)

LONG VERSION FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO NERD OUT ON THIS:

I have three goals: A liveaboard in the Similan Islands; taking an Advanced Open Water course; trying to get some basic-but-at-least-decent GoPro photography/videography while on the liveaboard (I'm trying to keep reasonable expectations for this given my skill level)

As a diver, I am rusty and inexperienced, but I am very comfortable in the water and a quick learner. I like formal instruction.

The questions
(there are a lot, I'll take any answers I can get):

- With 16 days, how would you divide your time between regions of Thailand? Perhaps half water/beach/dive-centric centric and half for Bangkok and a northern region such as Chang Mai?
- Would you head south to dive first or would you save it til the end?
- How may different locations would you try to visit for diving? Stick to one island area or try to do some "hopping?"
- How many days of actual diving would you try to do while leaving some time for beach relaxation?
- Is it too much to try to squeeze in a 3-day/3-night liveaboard AND another dive outing? (A friend told me a 9-dive liveaboard gets to be a lot)
- Should I take the AOW before going on the liveaboard or during? Many dive shops offer it as an add-on, so on one hand, it sounds like I might as well do both at once, but on the other hand, I am very inexperienced and I was thinking that taking the AOW course first would be a good refresher and help me feel more prepared and confident while at the Similan Islands.
- If I'm looking for AOW training, does Koh Tao offer a significant advantage over other dive areas? If I'm planning to go to the Similan Islands, is it worth making the trip there, too?
- Can you recommend any reliable, professional dive companies in particular? Who has a great reputation?
- Should I bring my own mask/snorkel?

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I should add, the $1200 budget could extend up to $1500-$1600 if it would make a big difference, but I'm trying to keep it a little lower for the initial planning.

The cheaper option would be to do advanced on the liveaboard, the better value option (youll be getting an additional 5 dives for just a bit more money) to do the advanced course before the liveaboard. That would also mean you have recent dive experience, so no issues with that on the liveaboard.

Andaman sea offers much better diving than the Gulf of Thailand, with limited time I would recommend you to stick to the Andaman.

Hope that helps you a bit further.

The cheaper option would be to do advanced on the liveaboard, the better value option (youll be getting an additional 5 dives for just a bit more money) to do the advanced course before the liveaboard.

Yes - that's a very good way to look at it.

Andaman sea offers much better diving than the Gulf of Thailand, with limited time I would recommend you to stick to the Andaman.

Good to know. The more I read about Koh Tao, the more it seems like a place I'd be better off skipping (a little too saturated) in favor of a somewhere better, but of course, lots of people seem to love it.

P.S. Upon re-reading my post I realized I'm 100% being one of those annoying people who appears to want the other people on the travel forum to plan her entire trip for her. Forum fail

Last edited:
I did a 10-week backpacking diving trip around the Pacific back in 2001 that included nearly a month in Thailand. Although I dove Koh Tao I found the Andaman sea a better experience. My only regret was that I didn't do the Similans. Back then my budget for the entire 10 weeks was $4,500 including airfare, diving, etc.

Why not book a similan island live abort for a week. Pretty affordable. Then spend the rest touring Thailand

I'm considering a 4 day/4 night liveaboard with AOW through Sea Dragon. I think it's about 14 dives and does the Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock, so there's about 5 more dives than a 3-day. Seems like a pretty good value.

My main hesitation about that plan is putting all my diving eggs in one basket. Signing up to spend four days on a boat (all my diving time most likely) with a small group of mystery people could be a lot to commit to. I had a great time in Utila, so I was thinking that if Koh Tao has a similar laid back backpacker atmosphere, it would be a fun place to meet some people and get reacclimated to diving (through AOW) at a low price before heading to the Similans. Plus just a way to experience another location.

I can see the advantage of both. It's a lot less transit time not to go back and forth. Choices choices.

Last edited:
I had a great time in Utila, so I was thinking that if Koh Tao has a similar laid back backpacker atmosphere, it would be a fun place to meet some people and get reacclimated to diving (through AOW) at a low price before heading to the Similans. Plus just a way to experience another location.

I think this is a bit tricky to answer. If you had more time, I would definitely say go to Koh Tao and do AOW there. I did both my cert and AOW there back in 2012 and loved the atmosphere; you can make of it what you want, from laid back to hard core partying. The diving can be ho-hum, depending on where they take you, but for the most part it is good for an inexperienced diver. Tons of operators, so prices are low and usually include housing if you take a course with them. I personally used Big Blue and would not hesitate to again, but they are one of the bigger ones.

However, given all that, all I have heard and researched is the Andaman Sea is MUCH better diving. I didn't get a chance to make it to the north, but if you really want to go (and I am upset I didnt), dont forget that train or bus rides will take you about a day or more between each of these places. You dont want to short yourself, so maybe your plan for a 4 day LOB is sufficient for diving.

Just my 2psi and I hope you have a great trip! I can't wait to make it back to Thailand.

I would suggest you pass on the Advanced cert. You need a refresher and to just go diving. People will try and talk you into the additional cert but you need experience. We went to Koh Tao a few years ago for 32 days. Bangkok. Chang Mi. and 22 days on Koh Tao. Loved that place. Did almost all of my diving with GoodTime Adventures (speedboat to the sites), and some with Master divers (big boat to the sites). Great atmosphere for a 30 year old. Lots of people your age. Laid back if you want that - or - lots of parting if you want that.
Enjoy Thailand. Great food for cheap. Miss that place. Going back someday.

I would suggest you pass on the Advanced cert. You need a refresher and to just go diving. People will try and talk you into the additional cert but you need experience. We went to Koh Tao a few years ago for 32 days. Bangkok. Chang Mi. and 22 days on Koh Tao. Loved that place. Did almost all of my diving with GoodTime Adventures (speedboat to the sites), and some with Master divers (big boat to the sites). Great atmosphere for a 30 year old. Lots of people your age. Laid back if you want that - or - lots of parting if you want that.
Enjoy Thailand. Great food for cheap. Miss that place. Going back someday.

You are exactly right, divers need experience, and to a point experience can be of greater significance than certifications, however if you go on a liveaboard and the operator applies PADI standards (which they all should) and limits open water divers to a depth of 18m. It will seriously restrict what you can do and rule you out of diving some of the best sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom