It's all so confusing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
What would also be important is that you to get to know your camera before you do any serious picture taking. Nothing worse than not knowing how to turn the flash on or off, getting the screen back on when it has gone into sleep mode or what all the other buttons are for.
Absolutely! When you do decide on a camera and housing, load it up and take a bunch of pictures on land. If you wear gloves diving, wear the same gloves on land. It's not just the taking of the pictures - it's how to work the camera in the housing. Not rocket science, but why not get real familiar on land?

gecko2gecko:
This leaves me even more confused...what if someone told me to wait to get certified until I was really good at diving?

The problem with that is legally you have to be certified to scuba dive in the first place.

People have different approaches to learning things - I like to read a little and play a lot. I have listened to what others do here and go play in the water, trying to figure out how to make my camera do what they said it could. I don't wait to know everything - it's not going to kill me if I get an awful picture. Many shots I've taken and still take are "not for human consumption" :D. I like to have fun with this addiction so my advice will always be dive, shoot, delete, and try again. Gives me another excuse to go diving (like I need one!) :D.

f3nikon:
The problem with that is legally you have to be certified to scuba dive in the first place.

You know what I meant :10: ...allow me search for a better example. Don't worry about taking any college courses until you're already proficient in whatever it is you hope to learn. Cart before the horse IMO...

SeaYoda:
People have different approaches to learning things - I like to read a little and play a lot. I have listened to what others do here and go play in the water, trying to figure out how to make my camera do what they said it could. I don't wait to know everything - it's not going to kill me if I get an awful picture. Many shots I've taken and still take are "not for human consumption" :D. I like to have fun with this addiction so my advice will always be dive, shoot, delete, and try again. Gives me another excuse to go diving (like I need one!) :D.

Yoda...I know what you mean. I am very good at using a delete button. :D Diving with you was fun and interesting to watch. I have no desire to be a pro...I just want to have something to show for it and have fun while I'm doing it. I've got the book recommendation that I was hoping for and it is on the way. I hope the book will have some good tips and will get me on the right track while I get used to "trial and error." Is the camera and housing you use (or at least the one you did at the jetties) a typical size? It seemed a little big for me but I have nothing to compare it to. :D

G2G - You do whatever makes YOU happy! That is, by far, the best way to learn as you'll actually get out there and use the camera.

If you go with something like the A95 you have access to all the manual controls your hubby has on his bigger camera...take it at your own pace. I am a huge advocate of putting cameras in manual to start with as light is so tricky underwater and manual isn't hard to learn on digital. I'd say have a go at least for a few shots. But if that isn't your thing, stick it in P mode an have at it!

Ultimately, underwater photography should be FUN. If it isn't, it can be extremely frustrating, boring and stressful.

When you do get your camera and housing, I do suggest that you put them together before you hit the water (duh!) and practice shooting. You don't need to do this for weeks and weeks, but at least shoot 30 or so shots...what you are doing is getting a feel for how the camera sits in your hand and how you are going to work the controls, even if it is just the shutter mechanism. You can also flip through the modes to see what happens. Pretty much the same thing you'd do with a new BCD - check out the clips, buttons, pockets etc so you are comfy.

Have FUN!! I am looking forward to your shots

gecko2gecko:
Yoda... Is the camera and housing you use (or at least the one you did at the jetties) a typical size? It seemed a little big for me but I have nothing to compare it to. :D
It is probably about average. Some small point and shoots have smaller and things like the Oly 8080 have larger. It's not really that big when you get in the water.

I did some playing on land before my first dive with the camera and it does help. Getting used to the housing took a little time but I'm sure it would have been more if I didn't play on the surface for a while.

Did you get the pics I emailed you OK?

Back
Top Bottom