It's Been Too Long!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the distinct pleasure of eating at Danube twice before it folded. Outstanding meals and great service, both times. I blame TripAdvisor for its failure, and the games that are regularly played with its reviews, which is why I just do NOT trust TripAdvisor.

I had the distinct pleasure of eating at Danube twice before it folded. Outstanding meals and great service, both times. I blame TripAdvisor for its failure, and the games that are regularly played with its reviews, which is why I just do NOT trust TripAdvisor.
I take posted opinions on review collectors like TripAdvisor with a very large grain of salt. A negative experience is a greater motivator for someone to post a review than is a positive one, and that negative experience may not be due to any fault on the part of the business under review.

In the case is of Danube, it wasn't so much the negative reviews as the disappearance of a great many positive reviews. After each of my meals at Danube, I posted glowing reviews at TripAdvisor. There were quite a number of excellent reviews, some by people I knew, and Danube managed to reach the Number 1 spot on TripAdvisor's recommended restaurants. Then, overnight, almost all of the good reviews, including my own, disappeared - deleted by TripAdvisor. And Danube went from the top of TripAdvisor's ratings to the very bottom. After numerous attempts to reach someone - ANYONE - at TripAdvisor to get an explanation, I learned that an anonymous source reported to TripAdvisor that these good reviews of Danube were fake, or purchased by Danube in exchange for free meals. A completely false report, probably made by a competitor of Danube, but TripAdvisor just decided to delete all of the good reviews without ever even checking on the report. Danube failed from lack of business, and TripAdvisor completely lost any credibility, as far as I am concerned.

I wondered if/when someone would open a restaurant in the old Sonora Grill location. We always enjoyed the view and atmosphere.

Hopefully more info to come.

PH

Did that also once be "Santiago's Grill"?

Dave Dillehay

I wondered if/when someone would open a restaurant in the old Sonora Grill location. We always enjoyed the view and atmosphere.

Hopefully more info to come.

PH
Agreed. We usually went twice to Sonora Grill during our stays on the island.

Did that also once be "Santiago's Grill"?

Dave Dillehay
No. Santiago's was in a downstairs location a couple of blocks from Sonora. Santiago's was another one of my faves, now no mas. One of their house specialties was a seared dorado pinwheel steak with embedded shrimp. I'm drooling; is it suppertime yet? :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom