I've got a flooding problem and questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one note on O-ring sealing systems in small acrylic housings Vs the larger more expensive SLR housings. As Gilligan stated the smaller housings with the hinged closure system incorporate the Nikonos style channel design in which the O-ring is dynamic and must be able to move. pressure creates the seal, deeper you go better the seal.

most of not all SLR housings incorporate a static seal design in which the O-ring does not move. The cover is not hinged and the seal is created by pressure exerted by the clamping system. this creates a better seal in shallow water, This is by far a more reliable and easy to maintain system. The port sealing system, however is of the channel design, and this is where ( in my experience ) all my floods had originated from.

Chris

Gilligan:
kevreid has a good idea of using an old O ring in the housing between dives and leaving the housing locked to keep it clean. That may be more suitable for those that don't dive frequently.

Thanks

This brings on another question - how critical is it to use the manufacturer supplied rings? I have a Canon WP-DC20 housing, and the o-rings are pricey to say the least (at least for me in SA). Assuming I can get the exact specs of the o-rings, I know of a couple of o-ring suppliers. Or would this not be a good idea.

BTW, how often do people change o-rings?

Simon

I have just received a set of O - Rings from Yuzo in Japan - a set for your camera will be about R 120-00 , I don't know what the local agents are asking .Next time I order from him I can add your stuff to my list if you want .

And when are we going diving ?

Safe Diving

Andrew

AndyT:
Simon

I have just received a set of O - Rings from Yuzo in Japan - a set for your camera will be about R 120-00 , I don't know what the local agents are asking .Next time I order from him I can add your stuff to my list if you want .

And when are we going diving ?

Safe Diving

Andrew

Andrew. Excellent! If I remember correctly the postage was about the same price as the o-ring itself, unless you use the cheaper option from them.

I will mail you shortly - did you get my last e-mail?

Simon

I used to be in the O-ring biz, as long as the inner and outer diameter match, which will automatically match the thickness, AND the durometer ( resilience ). Better yet if you have the "parker" size code which is the standard of the industry. In most cases generic O-rings will work but some housings as well as the Nikonos RS and some Sea & Sea camera use a silicone compound instead of rubber. These are usually not black ( blue, Red, Etc ) and much softer than the rubber type. Note NEVER use silicone grease on a silicone O-ring, I would suspect the the "special" grease may be a Teflon compound.

I have replaced all the O-rings in My aquatica housings with Viton ones, I can get 1000 of them for the same price of one set from Aquatica!

Also do not attempt to replace you own Non user servicable O-rings unless you have been trained to do so. If you scratch the oring channel while removing the oring your housing is history

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom