Jacket Inflate...Back Inflate...BP/Wings? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull:
Definitely try a back inflate BC before deciding. It is preferred by nearly all the recreational divers I dive with, as well as me.

I rented jacket styles before I bought my own gear, then I did some research (as you are now) and decided on back bouyancy. I do exclusively tropical diving and here's my experience so far with the SeaQuest Balance BC. I love the simplicity and the streamlined design, it also packs nicely for traveling. However, due to the back bouyancy I've noticed A) I still end up vertical if I stop swimming (Yes I've adjusted my weight distribution) B) I am pretty annoyed with the tendency to faceplant on the surface (yes I don't inflate too much) C) The air sometimes gets stuck on one side or the other, keeping me in that slanted position until I overcompensate and the the bladder goes : blub blub blub and the air finally gets to the other side. You may say that this is no big deal but its one additional thing to always be doing. I dunno, I haven't tried other BCs of this type in the water, but judging by the design, I would imagine that this would occur with most if not all of them. I still like my BC, but next time I get one I will try out some other jacket style ones as well and maybe switch back. I really didn't know that much about diving when I first bought my bc, now I feel I know quite a bit more but am still far from being an expert. Just my opinion.

I also dive the Zeagle Ranger love it, you can also rig duals on it latter if you choose to. The thing is tough as nails and wicked comfortable, paid $474.00 on line(lp).
Good luck Rich

funkyspelunker:
A) I still end up vertical if I stop swimming (Yes I've adjusted my weight distribution) B) I am pretty annoyed with the tendency to faceplant on the surface (yes I don't inflate too much) C) The air sometimes gets stuck on one side or the other, keeping me in that slanted position until I overcompensate and the the bladder goes : blub blub blub and the air finally gets to the other side. You may say that this is no big deal but its one additional thing to always be doing. .

A) if you are still ending up vertical, your weight is not distributed right, or you are not holding a slight arch to the back, feet up position.

B) faceplant on the surface should not happen with any BC unless it is not sized right or weight distribution is way off.

C) a horseshoe shaped wing will trap air on one side, this is why most single wings on BP's are round or doughnut shaped so air flows evenly around the wing.

A BP/wing is definately the way to go. I have an OxyCheq wing and a DiveRite Venture and love them both.

LioKai:
Be careful not to group all of us 'tropical dive ops'. I use a BP&W and I wouldn't have it any other way. LOL :cheers:

While I have had more than 20 different jacket and BP&W products over the past 15 years, I have finally found one that I truely like. A Jet Harness. at www.JetHarness.com
It is a custom fitted BP&W specificly designed for single tanks.

Be sure to ask yourself a few questions about the kind of diving you anticipate doing, along with the your requirements and expectations from your BCD. Then post your response and you will get a more definitive and direct answer to your question of "which BCD for me".
I will be doing mostly local diving (Midwest) with the occasional tropical dive when I can afford it. I will mostly be doing basic quarry dives, nothing too technical, until I build up my experience.

Have dived Jacket (during my OW), Back inflation for some 90 dives during my AOW phase, and am now diving a BP&W. The BP&W is by far the most comfortable and flexible and is fantastic for trim management, especially during photography dives. IMHO BP&W is the simplest and the most enjoyable BC I have used.

Scunick

I'd have to agree with every poster that emphasised that it's a personal preference. After all, what's best for me may not be for you.

I use both. A jacket BC for recreational diving with singles and a camera, and BP/W for doubles. Each has their strengths. I pick the one that does the applicable job the best.

Try before you buy!

All the best, James

I haven't seen anything that would indicate the Jet Harness is popular. If anything, just in terms of sheer popularity, I would rank it something like:

1) Halcyon Pioneer/Eclipse
2a) FredT backplates with any wing
2b) Oxycheq
3) Dive Rite
4) OMS
5) Others, including the Jet Harness. Actually, the only active Jet Harness user I'm even aware of is LioKai.

Personally, backplates are backplates. I like the other kinds (read NON Jet harness) because you can use them for singles or doubles, just swap out the wing and you're done. A 12 ' section of nylon webbing and some D-Rings and you're done - ultra comfy and dirt cheap.

Boogie711:
Personally, backplates are backplates.

That is true, backplates are backplates, but then there is the Jet Harness.

It is not designed for doubles, it doesn't need to be. If you dive singles then you should try it. I've tried about half of that list provided by Boogie711 and I agree with him that a plate is a plate is a plate, but the Jet Harness is nothing like the rest of the list.

You may not agree, but that could be because your needs are different than mine.

Products do not need to be the most popular to be the best. And for me, the Jet Harness is the best.

I'm completely convinced this guy has some sort of affiliation with Jet Harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom