Jackson Blue 11-14-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, Denise, that you didn't like the Fusion. I love mine. And BTW, I use a 6 lb v-weight in MX with Al80 doubles, and with the insulation I need in Florida fresh water, I need a 6 lb tailweight with LP95s. So yes, you can need weight with doubles.

My C2 instructor told me I didn't need the weight, and I left it off, and it really impacted my ability to do the unconscious diver rescue. It's easy to get fooled by how much extra gas we carry -- if you never check your weight with empty tanks, you will never know how much weight you actually HAVE to carry, until the day you are delayed, run low on gas, and have to crawl out on the ceiling.

I have a lot of problems with cave instructors trying to tell meticulous, careful students that they don't need the weight that good weight checks have shown that they do.

It has been a really hard decision! And I am still not sure I am making the right one. I don't tend to dive temps below the mid 60's so I truly believe the crushed neoprene will be more in my favour. If someone needs the undergarments to dive 40's to 50's F then I think that the shell with layered undergarments would probably be the right choice.

I dove the White's Fusion with the Arctic Fourth Element Undergarments and the Pinnacle Black Ice with just a skin today and I felt the same thermos comfort with each and a lot less bulk and weight with the crushed neoprene.

That sounds so weird to me . . . I went from a Diving Concepts compressed neoprene suit to the Fusion, and I was almost ridiculously relieved to have a lighter, more flexible suit that was easier to get in and out of.

I went to compressed neo because I couldn't layer enough undergarments to stay warm in Puget Sound's 45 degree winter water. I can't imagine diving compressed neo in the 60+ degree water in Florida!

I am a newbie drysuit wearer. Ask Edd, the owner of Cave Adventurers. He was diving a Pinnacle Evo2. He was asked to dive the prototype of the Pinnacle Black Ice before marketing. He told me he had 250+ dives on the Black Ice and had intended for it to be his back up suit. After test trying it before marketing, he is sold and is using it as his primary dry suit.

PM your work schedule and lets get back over there. I got some cool places to show you in there. I should be good to go this coming week if your schedule will allow. I guess you learned the lesson about Cave Adventurers...you can drop a lot of money in that place if you are not careful. Right Denise???

I am not sure if I can get back out next week, but the week after that shouldn't be a problem. I may be able to dive on Thursday of this comming week (11-19-09) but I will have to check with the wife again on Monday or Tuesday to see if it will be possible.

I want to try on a NOMAD while I am down there. I want to start figuring out what size and costs will be involved. I pretty much already have a green light from the wife, so I had better take advantage of it while it lasts.

Last edited:
Thursday won't work for me...I can do Friday or Saturday. If that doesn't work for you let's schedule something for the next week.

As for the Nomad...you are welcome to try mine if you want. I know that Ed also has some loaners. Sounds like we will have some fun.

I am not sure if I can get back out next week, but the week after that shouldn't be a problem. I may be able to dive on Thursday of this comming week (11-19-09) but I will have to check with the wife again on Monday or Tuesday to see if it will be possible.

I want to try on a NOMAD while I am down there. I want to start figuring out what size and costs will be involved. I pretty much already have a green light from the wife, so I had better take advantage of it whioe it lasts.

Excellent photos, Walter! Thanks for posting them!

As for the dry suit discussion...I love my Black Ice. I don't think I'll be diving another dry suit again. It dives like a wet suit..only keeps me dry and warm!

Did a dive with Cwick this weekend in one of the Leon Sinks, he just bought a Black Ice as well. Damned thing is NICE! It seems like THE drysuit for me, now if my lotto numbers would just hit... No way I want the snag potential and extra drag of a shell suit, no way in hell.

Walter, we'll catch up next time, no worries! We headed out to Wakulla for the weekend so no Mill Pond for us. Great report and I really enjoyed the pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom