Jackson Blue 4-10-9 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great time to explore the MANY side tunnels in the beginning of the cave :)

When the flow is this high in JB...if you come in the cavern and go left...is the flow less on that side? If I read things correctly, Mat you and Kevin were exploring around on that side??? I know it is a little tighter on that side so it might increase flow...but, since the main flow goes out the main cavern I was just wondering if you could save time going left?

Glenn I didnt notice less flow but there are so many boulders its easy to get out of the flow for a little while anyway.

We didn't go on the leftside of the cavern. I dropped down a little fissure crack and popped down there for no more than a minute, not enough time to really see if the flow was any different. I would expect it to be slightly better, but still having some flow(it usually has some flow on that side as well). Not sure it would save time, as its a longer haul and requires more reeling in.

Great report as usual!

Gongrats Kevin on your 200th!!! I need to align one of my trips so that I can dive with you.

Mat, I talked my wife into getting a 24w can light, woooooooooo! We just gotta get the guy to finish up payments on the boat.

My next trip will likely be demo day, May 2nd.

Looking forward to whenever the next dives will be!

Josh I am hoping to be down for both springfest and the customer appreciation days. Looks like your gonna miss springfest but maybe we can get up and dive the other.

When the flow is this high in JB...if you come in the cavern and go left...is the flow less on that side? If I read things correctly, Mat you and Kevin were exploring around on that side??? I know it is a little tighter on that side so it might increase flow...but, since the main flow goes out the main cavern I was just wondering if you could save time going left?

The best place to get out of the flow in JB is low and to the right. Swim along the sand channel. Once you get to the gold line, stay low and then under it. The rest is beyond your current limits, but for those it's not... Pop over the large white limestone boulder and get real negative to go down the chimney. A couple of pulls at the bottom of the chimney and then go high. This will get you out of the flow again. Stay low and to the right over the 1st breakdown, hiding behind the rocks. After the 1st breakdown, continue to stay low and to the right. You'll have to pull into the 2nd breakdown and across the top (I timed my exit on my Mako over the 2nd breakdown the other day at over 200 fpm!). After the 2nd breakdown, go as far left as you can without touching top or bottom. Dart across the gold line when you come back to it (you will lose some ground) and stay far to the right. This will get you to the 1st T in the least amount of flow and with minimal contact with the cave...even with the flow kickin' as much as it is. I can still hang motionless in JB, even with the flow this high, but only when I'm in the right places.

The best place to get out of the flow in JB is low and to the right. Swim along the sand channel. Once you get to the gold line, stay low and then under it. The rest is beyond your current limits, but for those it's not... Pop over the large white limestone boulder and get real negative to go down the chimney. A couple of pulls at the bottom of the chimney and then go high. This will get you out of the flow again. Stay low and to the right over the 1st breakdown, hiding behind the rocks. After the 1st breakdown, continue to stay low and to the right. You'll have to pull into the 2nd breakdown and across the top (I timed my exit on my Mako over the 2nd breakdown the other day at over 200 fpm!). After the 2nd breakdown, go as far left as you can without touching top or bottom. Dart across the gold line when you come back to it (you will lose some ground) and stay far to the right. This will get you to the 1st T in the least amount of flow and with minimal contact with the cave...even with the flow kickin' as much as it is. I can still hang motionless in JB, even with the flow this high, but only when I'm in the right places.

Sounds like I need to hire you as a guide the next time we're down there! Technique is everything!

Let me know! It's actually not so much technique as it is knowing the cave. I've done lots of dives in JB. I've seen 98% of the lined passage in the 1st 2000' more than once and am working on the 2000-3000' section now. I know that cave quite well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom