Jacksonville diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looks like I may be in Jacksonville for a Fri thru Sun in late June, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions about squeezing in a few dives while I'm there? What's the diving like near there? Who you'd suggest I use (or avoid if aprop.!).
any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Jim

I'll leave it to others to suggest a good operator, but I can describe the diving.

Jax diving tends to be long boat rides, b/c many of the sites are 20 - 40 miles offshore. Think most of the day vs a few hours, as in the Keys.

Profile is ledges, and wrecks. Because you are out 20+ miles in the open Atlantic Ocean, conditions can be rough, or turn that way while you are out (or not, as the case may be).

Many who dive Jax are spearfishermen, so charters cater to this activity.

Those who do it regularly describe the diving in glowing terms - its been a while for me and I don't spearfish.

Really depends on you - most times folks coming down to squeeze a dive or 2 in are looking more for the Keys experience in terms of time but by all means give it a shot if this kind of diving appeals to you. The Keys its not!

Also, do a search - this topic was recently discussed and there were some shop recommendations made.

Agree; the shop/OP is going to tell you they are great! Although sometimes (certainly not always) you can get a sense of what they are all about just through a conversation.

We had one on this subject, like a month or so ago - had a lot of good info - just search Jax Diving, or Jacksonville dive operations, and be prepared for some reading!

If you are willing to drive a little (2 - 3 hours) south - some of the best diving in FL is in Palm Beach county. Jupiter, West Palm, and Boynton are really superb.

If your interested in PB, post back and I will be glad to make some recommendations of shops/operators.

Actually, I do most of my diving in Jax. The dive ops here really don't go that far offshore. Most of the time you can see the coast from the dive site. Mostly old barges and tugs that have plenty of targets for the spearfisherman. Occasionally you see a ray or turtle. Plenty of jellyfish and the vis is usually not the best. Average dive depth is usually 75' and temp is usually high seventies by that time. I'll be out of town the 20 - 27th of June. If you're here any other time, I'd be glad to dive with you.

Atlantic Pro Dive does a 2 tank with about an hour run each way.They dive from 5 to 15 miles offshore.

I had 20'vis last Tuesday on the Gulf America a WW2 shipwreck.Nearby it was 60'.I had 80' to 100+'vis all week on 16 dives but I was deep.After this Nor'easter it may be a few days til the vis clears.

Conditions can also be found on Spearboard and Spearfishing Planet as several guys go out regularly on there.
Pix can be found on APDs site and by doing a Google search for snapperslapper.He has a site with some nice photos locally

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom