Jacksonville in Jan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiddler

Registered
Reaction score
Good possibility I'll be in Jacksonville mid to late Jan. Looking for a buddy for some shore diving/bottle diving whatever. Also info on boats for something offshore. What kind of water temps shold i expect. This includes the river.

Thanks for any assistance.

As a former native of this fine location, the water is rather chilly this time of year. Typical temps may fall into the high 50's.

The winter winds play havoc with the seas and I know of no commericial boats that ventures out this time of year. Jax also sits on the extended continetal shelf and even in warm times and calm seas, a 2 hour ride is not unsual to get where the water is deep enough for recreational diving.

When I dive North Florida, I usually go to the springs (Ginnie, Blue Grotto, Etc.) or make the four hour drive to WPB.

TRy the state parks. They are $5 to dive all day.

Which State Parks in the Jacksonville and surrounding area can you dive at?

I'll be down there the end of December and will be diving at Ginnie, but will probably be back in the Spring as my new grandson lives there.

Jeff=-)

Most of the springs and state parks are within 2-3 hour drive of Jax... this includes but is not limited to: Ginnie Springs, Blue Grotto, Devils Den, Manatee Springs SP, Troy Springs, Peacock Springs SP, Blue Springs SP, Alexander Springs SP and Royal.

WPB or Jupiter is a much better choice than Jax for salt water.

Ben

Bill what do you consider deep enough for recreational diving?
Where I'm from in Pa. the guys I dive with for bottle dives I think our tanks don't always get wet. Does'nt need to be deep to be fun. I can't believe nobody does dives at the inlet or even the river. I'm not going to jax to dive I'm going to be in jax and want to dive. I figure there's goota be at least one mud guppy in the area that can handle what I consider warm water.

Hmmm... I'm guessing by the sound of your post that you haven't been to Jacksonville, or if you have it's been a while.

Nobody dives in the river, it's disgusting and you wouldn't be able to see sh*t (which, coincidently is what you'd be diving in).

The run to any "decent" diving is long and in January when the temps are 40s-50s people don't wanna ride in an open boat.

Ben

uhh,I dive year round in Jax.WTs bottom in the 50s and I rarely dive past 25 miles as really big aggressive sharks will be found closer to the stream.Vis is generally 15' or so from about 6miles on out,but can be better after several calm days.River diving is done for fossils and artifacts in some local rivers but intimate local knowledge is essential.Shore diving is pointless as vis will range from nothing to 5' and you will see very little of interest.Most dive charters don't run during the winter.We spearfish and lobster every chance we get and see several others on occasion out there with us.The springs are fun but lose their charm soon.The manatee dives are a must do at least once.

one word....."Brrrrrrrrr" I'm from Amelia Island which is about 45minutes north and I can count the numbers of times I have been in the water in the winter on half a hand during my 18 years living here! Just too freaking cold, but then again...I complain in the springs with a 3mm full, gloves and a hood.

When the seas subside, winter diving can be great...at least for spearfishing! like 100days-a-year said, there are some big sharks here in the winter. Last year we saw a 12 foot sand tiger which i am told are not usually aggressive. He came about 3 feet from me but was never threatening, just curious.
For dive operators, theres scuba cove and Atlantic pro dive. Both have great crews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom