Jacksonville trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabum2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Jacksonville during the later part of April. What ocean diving is available there? After reviewing some posts, it seems the diving is mainly charter, to perhaps wrecks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There may be 2 charters available this year but I don't know when they'll start up.Not many people on Scubaboard in this area have boats but a few do post now and again.Start looking or booking now as there is a rush once the warm water divers start diving again.WTs should be close to 70 inshore and mid 70s offshore.

SpearfishingPlanet,FloridaSportsman and Spearboard forums have a good contingent of guys who actually have boats and dive here.

If you are willing to go a little north, check out Divers Den in Kinglsand, GA. They are awesome, I dived with them a couple years ago when their boat was in JAX but it has since moved north. It's only about an hour drive or so if I recall correctly. Chris is the man!

If your question is abour shore diving, there is none - you are correct that its all charter unless you have (or have a friend) with a boat.

April may be a little early; the trips tend to be to sites well offshore (25 - 30+ miles) and are sea and weather dependent - you may be a month or so early.

Thanks for all of the info! I checked out the website for the GA dive shop, but it sounds like I need a serious alternative with the unpredictable April weather. Is Crystal River worth checking out for the Manatees? I know I'm really close to the best freshwater diving in the US but have no interest in caverns and caves. I would prefer seeing critters or treasure hunting, which is a bummer, since the GA shop calendar doesn't do the St Mary's on weekends.

Thanks for all of the info! I checked out the website for the GA dive shop, but it sounds like I need a serious alternative with the unpredictable April weather. Is Crystal River worth checking out for the Manatees? I know I'm really close to the best freshwater diving in the US but have no interest in caverns and caves. I would prefer seeing critters or treasure hunting, which is a bummer, since the GA shop calendar doesn't do the St Mary's on weekends.

Don't take dive shop calendars as gospel. Those that post trips on a calendar do their best to stick by the schedule, but weather and other factors can and do alter plans. Give them a call, tell them what you want, and see what happens. Also check back with them closer to your trip.

Do you want to drive a little?

Check out St Augustine and Daytona (think you will find more in Daytona)

Want to drive a little further... Jupiter; beats the others hands down

Jupiter31,just exactly how many dives have you done in NE Fla?I have close to 2000 now just from Vero to the Lower Keys.

I dive from the Marquesa to N.Carolina almost every year and Jax has some of the best diving there is.

Fewer divers and fishermen and longer trips here mean less chance of seeing others and not having to dive the same pounded down reef every trip.

More wrecks and square miles of reef and hard bottom,by far.

Vis and current are more variable but I've had 50' to 100' vis a great deal of the time offshore recently and this is the worst time of the year for vis.

Not to mention you don't have to worry about a diver being run over every few months by the hordes of weekend warriors.

The water is often clearer in S.Florida and the trips closer but I prefer the Keys or Daytona north and normally skip from Canaveral to Homestead unless it's with a friend who wants to dive there.

Hey, YMMV

("Your milage may vary", and you are entitled to like diving wherever you want - and while I don't have 3,000 dives, I have well over 1,000 done since 1977, many off my own boat. Yes, I'll admit some strong op's from time to time, but in general, I only post on what I've experienced - most of the time my goal is to save someone from making a mistake I've probably made. Wish there was Scuba Board when I started to dive, but hell, the PC was a few years away!)

The OP asked about diving Jax in April, and it looks like he is a little early - so my comments were regarding his post. If no boats are going out from South Georgia to Jacksonville, his options as far as salt water diving are go south or stay ashore.

Jupiter is my favorite, hands down. But as I often post, its not for every diver, especially new ones or those who's skills are rusty.

Sites are closer, water is calmer, you can dive year 'round, and not every trip is hunting/spearfishing oriented - Jupiter is cheaper, too - w/ the 10 dive card its like $48 a trip. Plus you stand a great chance of clear viz and large animal encounters.

I'll admit, Its been a while since I dove N. FL - but I don't see that anything has changed much regarding conditions, et al.

What did I post that was "wrong"? And I think my comments were spot on regarding the original question; if he wants to dive in April, unless he has a friend with a boat (he did not so indicate, unless the friends last name was "Charter"), its not going to be Jax..

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom