Jag's ScubaWorld Dive Trip Series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricJ:
My wife and I are considering taking a trip to Dumaguet and Puerto Galera this summer. I've had a hard time finding information, reviews, etc. I appreciate the trip report and look forward to hearing more about diving in the Philippines.

as far as i know the dumaguete operation should be up and running full blast by march... i think they hope to be up by the summer tourist season...

to be honest, scubaboard seems to be the best place to get reviews or comments on dive destinations, resorts, operations and the like... they're mostly from a personal experience point of view so you don't get the promotional stuff with it... most people will tell you hear outright if it's great, expensive or a waste of time

Jag

Ben_ca:
Jag,
Is the video going to be a local comercial spot, promo video, or a take home video of the sights?

Ben

well, primarily it's a promotional video for use in dive expos and trade shows, it's also for distribution to travel agents and dive trip organizers... so far it's going to run about 7 minutes

i don't know if you'll be able to order one from scubaworld (did you do your pool in their makati shop?) but theoretically you should be able to... so far our deliverables are only the masters - how, when, where, and how many they duplicate is so far their concern

but from what i know SW is very active in doing trade shows so if there's a major one near you or at least DEMA, then you'd get to see the video... i even come out in it! (wahahahahaha) hope they don't edit that out

Jag

COMING BACK TO ROOST: THE ANILAO LEG

It is safe to say that diving in the Philippines was born kicking and screaming in the coral gardens of Anilao, Batangas. A natural deep water bay, it sits right smack in the path of tropical currents that carry tons of nutrients to an area teeming with life – from miniscule pygmy seahorses, to sea turtles and reef sharks. In the past years, the declaration of Anilao as a marine sanctuary and continued efforts to protect the area have turned this once secluded haunt for rich kids with scuba tanks to the premiere dive destination in Luzon; a haven for the Manila-based weekend diver or the international tourist seeking the best in the world.

To many Filipino divers, Anilao is home… it’s where they had their open water check out dives… it’s where friends were made and dive stories told… it’s where they go to get away from it all.

CHAPTER 1: I’M BACK!

I’ve been certified for a little over a year now, and this was my first time to return to Anilao since my checkouts. It was location #2 for the shoot crew, we were pumped to work and I was hoping to add more dives to my 11-dive logbook – schedule permitting of course.

It was also my first time at the Outrigger Resort, Scuba World’s shore-based Anilao operation. Lugging our carry-ons (dive gear and other “heavy” stuff were already being lugged up to the lobby/ lanai by a caravan of staff members) to the lanai we passed a tempting collection of ocean kayaks, banana boats and two brand-spanking-new 3-seater wave runners all parked in front of the dive take-off platform.

Our primary goal in Anilao was to shoot the Explorer Fleet (officially to be renamed the Expedition Fleet) of live aboard vessels. Joining us in Anilao was Raffy, SW #2 main muchacho, and Eddie, the official kitchen guy who also took great care of us in Dumaguete. Soon after breakfast, we got into the dingy and went to check out the ships moored off the Anilao pier.

Undergoing retrofitting into dive vessels were the Eco Explorer and the more diminutive Apo Explorer – but we headed towards a gorgeous ship a hundred meters away – the Stella Maris Explorer. I’ll get back to her in a bit.

After an ocular inspection of the Stella, giving Eddie a rundown of our planned shots involving food and/or drinks, we boarded the dingy again to go to a new addition to the Explorer/ Expedition Fleet: The Crystal Explorer.

CHAPTER 2: HOLY CRYSTAL EXPLORERS, BATMAN!

When Raffy told us the Crystal (w/c is not currently planned to become a live aboard) was all spruced up, he couldn’t fully encapsulate what “spruced up” meant.

The Crystal is designed as a ship you take when you’ve got a party. No accommodations but a good number of pavilions and VIP rooms good for about 300 people. Talk about posh! Everything was lacquered and gilt in gold trim. There were panels that revealed TV sets wired for karaoke (did I mention the Crystal was originally a Japanese ship?), a coffee brewer on for every room, a bar servicing every room, and a gelato machine on the top deck.

In the middle of the main pavilion sat a $60,000 (!) transparent baby grand piano a few steps away from a faux, but marble, fireplace mantle. Liberace would be proud.

But the piece de resistance turned out to at the bottom deck. Going down a spiral staircase takes you to the viewing deck… under water! A high-ceilinged lounge where generous glass windows show you the waters outside; sofas line the windows allowing guests to lounge (or sing) while fish and the occasional mermaids pass by. Lights on the hull above assure that fish will be attracted to the windows when the boat is used at night.

An amazing vessel with great potential for the Asian tourist market or for corporate parties and functions; last I heard it’s going to be based in Cebu… lucky buggers.

CHAPTER 3: …SO OFF TO WORK I GO…

Shoots in Anilao were relatively less painful than Dumaguete. Maybe it’s the familiarity, maybe it’s being relatively close to Manila, maybe it’s our shot list… who knows?

The Stella proved to be our centerpiece. A good number of our shots were either of the Stella or done on the Stella. The ship itself is a very comfortable vessel that can accommodate 20 divers on week-long trip to Tubbataha in the Sulu Sea.

It’s got comfortable cabins, real cold air-conditioning, private toilet and baths, a comfortable air-conditioned dining saloon and a Jacuzzi on the prow. The dive prep area’s a bit tight but the top deck platform and flying bridge, as well as the sun deck above the dive prep area let’s you get away from the hubbub.

CHAPTER 4: FINALLY A DIVE!

Waking Sunday morning was pleasant as for most of us in the group, it was our first 8 hours of straight sleep in days! The weather, though, was amazingly chilly; probably in the 27C range that early. Overcast also delayed some of our shots too, as we had to wait till about 9 or 10 in the morning before the sun decided to make an appearance.

For two days I watched dive group after dive group board bancas or chase boats to head off to some great undersea adventure. I had to stay with the camera in my hand.

On Sunday, though, we opted to get 1 dive in instead of having lunch. It was actually still work – we would first take shots of our models exiting and entering the water to simulate dives or post dive amenities (cool water and warm towels). Underwater, Mel the U/W Video guy was to take us in the background with some great foreground life like corals and/or fish; we were also supposed to choreograph an ascent and descent.

The pros of the group decided on “Koala” as the dive site that would offer a good selection of life at a relatively shallow depth, as well as the chance for the best viz given the cold conditions and the previous night’s surprise wind direction change.

On Raffy’s command, we actually took the Stella to the divesite instead of the chase boat! That was a treat!

Chase boat moored at the dive site bouy, we backrolled into the calm waters of Koala. Idiot me allowed myself to drop too deep from the backroll and I, for my future reference, scraped my hand on some coral during the roll out. A minor pain, but not as much as what seemed my dive companions’ problems: cold water! The screams while we gathered at the surface were hilarious!

I was in the water with Mel, doing video; Jun, directing the shoot; Connie, an Argentinean instructor currently based at the Outrigger; Berry, a Dutch instructor also based at the Outrigger; Slie (pronounced “slee” but her real name’s Amanda), 2 years certified but about as many dives logged as I had… but she’s a hotty and was our model for the weekend shoot; and of course there’s me – the backroll and subsequent scrape with the local wildlife officially began dive #12 in this fresh diver’s life.

A gentle slope to about 30 feet gave way to a short wall that petered out at about 80-90 in a flat sandy bottom. There was a welcome selection of hard and soft coral as well as a multitude of small reef fish. The wall itself was teeming with small fish life while mid-size surgeons, triggers, lion fish and angels flitted in and out of the coral.

I spotted a small scorpion fish hiding between some rocks and amused myself with a nudibranch I came across inching its way around some rocks. Of interest too was a fish (sorry, didn’t get a name on it) that had a painful chunk bitten off its back. The wound didn’t seem too fresh but you could really see where a predator got a good grip in and tore off a piece off the dorsal fin. An interesting Discovery Channel moment for me nonetheless.

After a relaxing no-current dive we were gathered in a clearing for the ascent shot. Jun pointed us into our positions and on Mel’s signal, up we went. Breaching the surface I hoped we’d have time for another dive, but alas, time was of the essence and we still had to have lunch (it was already 2pm!), then finish up our shoots for the day.

If you're curious about the water temp when we did our intrepid ice diving adventure, the temp was a chilly 26C. At this point Paul's (from Dumaguete) words come to mind: "Aw c'mon, don't talk to me about cold water! in England, in the middle of summer, on the hottest day of the year... water temp will probably hit 22C... so please don't tell me you guys think this is cold water!"

Finally we wrapped the day up at 6pm. All shots on the list completed for Anilao. The Outrigger staff treated us to a yummy send off dinner where Raffy offered us additional stays if we wanted to dive the next day with him. Imagine having to decide between going to work on Monday or calling in sick! Nooooooooo!!!

Unfortunately the need to be a responsible provider prompted our weary team to trudge on back to Manila and forego an additional night of free accommodations, good food, great company and even greater diving.

But it would not be the end… next destination… CORON!

I still love my job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom