Jamaica - Would You Live There?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been offered an opportunity to work for one of the larger resorts in the Montego Bay area. I have spent some time on the island and absolutely loved the area, the people, and their culture. I have always dreamed of running away to an island and this opportunity just knocked on my door. The work visa and moving logistics will all be covered by employer so I do not have to worry about any of that BS.

I am looking for the opinions of some ex-patriots who might be living down there. I am a little afraid that it may be one of those places that is great to visit but not a great place to call home. I am well aware of the poverty and the crime that exists as a result of the inequality. I have already had a run in with a pick-pockter whose hand was on my wallet, which I was able to stop. So besides the crime what other negatives am I over looking.

Any other advice about making the move from the US to Caribbean lifestyle would be much appreciated.

I have yet to dive there, and have heard mixed reports. I do not care if the diving is not as good as Bonaire or other key diving hotspots. I already love the low visibility and cold water of the northeast so I pretty sure I will not mind the clear warm Caribbean waters. But I am getting into the technical aspect of diving and was wondering if there are wrecks and/or a technical diving community on the island.

Ummm - No, I wouldn't. It has the 3rd highest homicide rate in the world, after S Africa & Columbia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_murder_rate The rate is about 5 1/2 times that of the USA. This is not a Caribbean-wide problem: Barbados, for example, has a rate just a tad higher than the US.

Again I am aware of the crime rate and high homicide rate.

Even with the 3rd highest homicide rate in the world your chances of being killed in a homicide are 0.034% (based on 33.69 homicides per 100,000 people). The chances of being killed in a fatal car accident in the United States is 0.019% per year (based on 25,492 fatalities per 2.7 trillion miles traveled per year, with the assumption of an annual average distance of 20,000 miles).

Obviously crime is an issue on the island, but I do not think twice about getting into my car every day and driving 75 mph. The high homicide rate is not a valid reason for passing on this employment opportunity. I am single and fairly street smart. I plan on taking the necessary precautions to prevent/protect my safety. So the 1.5 hundredths of percent difference between being killed in a homicide in Jamaica vs. the chances of being killed driving my car in the states is irrelevant.

Check the tax rate you'd have to pay.

Also, I'd assume you'd want to purchase a vehicle and/or house if one is not provided to you by work. Check the mortage rates and rules/laws about forgein ownership. I've heard the interest rates on homes are EXTREMELY high in Jamacia. like 20%.

(I'm not expert on this though... just what someone told me, but worth you checking into).

I am just starting to consider this opportunity and building a list of what I need to look into. I will defiantly add mortgage rates rules/laws of foreign ownership to my list.

A friend of mine who was in charge of small hotel construction project on one of the outer islands in the Bahamas always complained about the cost of import taxes. I remember him saying that a simple hammer cost about $75 by the time he got one down there and paid the fees. Does any one know if I will be assessed taxes on my personal possessions when if I move down there?

Hmmm. I can't speak specifically to Jamaica, but I did make the move to the Caribbean.

To Cayman, you can import your personal household possessions (not motor vehicles) duty free only if you do so within 6 months of first arriving on island. Perhaps Jamaica has something similar?

Cayman interest rates on mortgages run 10-15% percent depending upon risk and down payment. Rates are high - do beware.

Living and working in the tourist trade, particularly in a cruise ship dependent situation, can be a bit frustrating at times. The sooner you can adapt to the slower pace of island life, the less this will bother you.

I can't offer any useful adive myself, as I've only been to Mo Bay once. I was pleasantly surprised though, as I was expecting it to be much rougher than it is. I felt more welcome by the locals than in Hawaii (I'm talking the natives... not the locals from SB who are great :) I hear Kingston is pretty bad, but if you are pretty much going to be in a tourist area, it might be ok??
Anyway... there was a guy on here who is a Jamaica local who offered advice before I went. I think his name is JamDiver? Try that and maybe he can give you some info.

<< Any other advice about making the move from the US to Caribbean lifestyle would be much appreciated. >>

The best advice I could give anyone moving to the Caribbean is: "Leave It Behind!" This refers to both possessions & attitudes.

Many people move by bringing a palette-load or 2 of possessions with them: TV, stereo, winter clothing, their favorite couch, etc. Much of this ends up in storage, unused. All you really need to bring is some tropical clothing, 1 warm sweater & jacket for trips home to CT, your dive gear, and a couple of favorite CDs/books/etc. As you adapt to a Caribbean lifestyle, you will be glad you have not encumbered yourself with a lot of "stuff."

As for attitudes, there is a bumper sticker in Cayman which reads: "we don't give a damn how you do it up North!" That pretty much sums it up. The biggest complaint many Caribbean people have about foreigners is that they assume the "right" way to do something is the way they were taught to do it at home, and are not reluctant to say so.

Just my $0.02. I have never moved to JA, but have moved to Cayman & Grand Turk from N America.

I am all about simplifying my life. My roommate just got back from the tropics after a week long trip and his first comment was that he wished he left the suitcase at home and just brought his backpack. I well understand the philosophy that less is more and feel that I already have to much stuff.

I consider myself a layed back type of guy so the "changes of latitude and changes of attitude" should not be all that hard for me to adjust to. One of my biggest concerns is resentment from the locals that would make it difficult for me to effectively do my job. Thanks for the incite into the local psyche. That is the type of information I can not get of the web or a book.

Nautical Dreamer:
I have been offered an opportunity to work for one of the larger resorts in the Montego Bay area. I have spent some time on the island and absolutely loved the area, the people, and their culture. I have always dreamed of running away to an island and this opportunity just knocked on my door. The work visa and moving logistics will all be covered by employer so I do not have to worry about any of that BS.
Live there?

I won't even get off the cruise ship when it docks there.

It's only a little safer than going to an active war zone.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom