JBL vs Riffe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyle,

I am also fairly new to diving and speargun hunting anly having been out about a dozen times since I started in Feb. I was using a borrowed gun from a friend, that was about 25 or 30 years old, and didn't seem to have a name plate on it. Anyway, it was a short about 36 in shaft with two bands, and I did kill some fish with it but was missing quite a few also. It was hard to get close enough to the bigger fish to be accurate with the gun.

I bought a riffe rear handle 48 in shaft with 3 bands for about $450.00. The first dive I used it on I was in awe as it was very accurate and I was able to shoot much farther than I even expected. Sometimes I only use 1 or 2 bands and sometimes all 3 if I am more in the open and the fish are hanging out farther away.

I know this isn't their top of the line gun but it has made diving a lot easier as a beginner and less frustrating since it is more accurate than the cheap or older gun I had started with....money well spent as far as I am concerned.

I second (or third) the recommendation for a MAKO Railgun. You can get a perfect gun for your type of hunting for around $200. Much better than any JBL and I prefer it over a Riffe, (even though it costs less than half what a Riffe costs).

I shot a JBL for close to thirty years, killed a lot of fish with it and have no complaints with the gun, I still have my original JBL. That said I shot my first RIFFE about 6 years ago and saw the light, the difference in power and accuracy is significant.

Can you get by with a JBL? Absolutely, but if you don't mind the extra coin, buy the RIFFE and be done with it. The power and accuracy are amazing and you won't believe how quiet the gun is compared to others.

No offense to any company, but to my knowledge moving from a Sea Hornet to a JBL is commonly a lateral move, and in some places it would be considered a step down.

Riffe makes many fine guns but I don't believe there's one so much better suited to Oregon scuba spearing than the JBL NW 38, that it's worth more money. (No I've never dove there but I travel a lot and see and hear what is recommended in area dive shops.)

It also amazes me that Riffe has such a loyal following of scuba shooters, since the company has allowed staff to publically call scuba spearfishing "cheating."

There are spearguns that make all of the the previously mentioned guns pale by comparison for the environments they are designed to suit.

Chad

PS - I give you Oregon divers credit for just getting wet!

Last edited:
I have a Riffe and love it. I also have a JBL somewhere packed away..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom