Jealousy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I do not want to see a flame war or hear about who is using the right gear and who is using gear that will kill them (because it probably won't)... I'm just saying.

I'm poking around online and looking at dive gear because I'm at work on a Saturday and I'd rather do that than work. And I find I start to get really covetous of really rec BCDs. Vest style ones,even.

You see, I've been diving BP/W for about the past year. I absolutely love it and have no intention of changing from it. But those BCDs... with all their velcro and their snaps and pockets and the rivets and D rings everywhere. Carrying handles on some! They just look so cosy and so comfortable and so cool. Like parachutes or undersea Barco-loungers or something.

I know this may sound sardonic or even troll-like, but it's really not. They look just awesome and I'm feeling oddly jealous.

Was just wondering if I was the only techie poseur this happened to.

saying:
But those BCDs... with all their velcro and their snaps and pockets and the rivets and D rings everywhere. Carrying handles on some! They just look so cosy and so comfortable and so cool. ... They look just awesome and I'm feeling oddly jealous.
Sounds like you need a BC hug. :wink:

saying:
I do not want to see a flame war or hear about who is using the right gear and who is using gear that will kill them (because it probably won't)... I'm just saying.

I'm poking around online and looking at dive gear because I'm at work on a Saturday and I'd rather do that than work. And I find I start to get really covetous of really rec BCDs. Vest style ones,even.

You see, I've been diving BP/W for about the past year. I absolutely love it and have no intention of changing from it. But those BCDs... with all their velcro and their snaps and pockets and the rivets and D rings everywhere. Carrying handles on some! They just look so cosy and so comfortable and so cool. Like parachutes or undersea Barco-loungers or something.

I know this may sound sardonic or even troll-like, but it's really not. They look just awesome and I'm feeling oddly jealous.

Was just wondering if I was the only techie poseur this happened to.

Pervert.

saying:
How did JJ say it in the DIR book?

Something like: "The Jacket BC has turned into a spectacular fashion accessory"

Roak

You have a bp/w, the ultimate in customizability, why be jealous of a commercial BC. You don't have to be "unique" just like all the other rec zombies. Change your harness out with a colored piece of 2" webbing. Add 2 dozen D rings, and clip little charm bracelets to them. Better yet, clip a small chain running from a ring on your reg to each of your rings. You know, goth it up a bit. You want velcro, stick it on. Pretty much every "tech" company makes pockets for their bp/w 2" harness setups. Here is something those rec BCDs can't do, have your plate powder coated. Heck, have it laser cut with little patterns then powder coated. Sure, you will mess with your buoyancy a little, but it is the look that counts.

At first I was just joking about this, but now I am thinking about cutting a plate to look like a spider web mesh and powder coating it midnight metallic blue. Weight reduction... sweet! Oh, or I could emboss an Escher type design into it.

Ugh, somehow I have a feeling that last post wil be about as welcome as my auto-compensating BCD idea.

Ugh, somehow I have a feeling that last post wil be about as welcome as my auto-compensating BCD idea.

Actually it reminded me of a lot of the computer case mods that guys are having done to "spruce" up their computer case...not me I like my 14bay full tower in traditional computer ivory with the roar of 13 case fans inside...kinda' luls me to sleep at night...

Tim

GLE, that spiderweb plate sounds sweet!
Only...will it still stop small caliber arms fire? I´ve been wearing mine underneath a shirt when I visit dangerous places like the us or egypt...

kidspot:
14bay full tower in traditional computer ivory with the roar of 13 case fans
Wow, that's a big box. I traded my old behemoth in for a nice quiet little box with only 9 fans and 3 bays. Can bearly hear it at night.

grazie42:
I´ve been wearing mine underneath a shirt when I visit dangerous places like the us or egypt
Egypt I understand, but how do you get through all the metal detectors in the US? :D

As for my spider plate, if you wrap it in your Kevlar (r) bug gloves it might stop a bullet. Heck, they don't stop urchin "pins" but maybe a bullet.

Hm, after these responses, I wonder if there would be a rec market for custom "cool" plates/wings. Maybe these could challenge the cloth BCs that are so popular now. I am mapping out the spider plate and another plate with palm trees reverse cut into the plate (sorry, I don't know the terminology, the trees remain in metal). I still think one of those Escher checker tile designs would look really cool with every other shape cut out.

I get back in a couple of weeks. Maybe if I have time I can stamp one of these out and see how it looks. I also want to try some stuff with sideglow fiberoptic cable...

gle:
Wow, that's a big box. I traded my old behemoth in for a nice quiet little box with only 9 fans and 3 bays. Can bearly hear it at night.

Egypt I understand, but how do you get through all the metal detectors in the US? :D

As for my spider plate, if you wrap it in your Kevlar (r) bug gloves it might stop a bullet. Heck, they don't stop urchin "pins" but maybe a bullet.

Hm, after these responses, I wonder if there would be a rec market for custom "cool" plates/wings. Maybe these could challenge the cloth BCs that are so popular now. I am mapping out the spider plate and another plate with palm trees reverse cut into the plate (sorry, I don't know the terminology, the trees remain in metal). I still think one of those Escher checker tile designs would look really cool with every other shape cut out.

I get back in a couple of weeks. Maybe if I have time I can stamp one of these out and see how it looks. I also want to try some stuff with sideglow fiberoptic cable...

be sure to post pics when you're done .... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom