Jetfin redesign

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi theskull,

I'm also interested in getting the rocket II however, I've heard the fins are a little too stiff for comfort and I would really like to know how the Rocket II compares to the jets in these areas.

1. Performance (speed & maneuverability with the vents in opposit direction)?
2. Comfort (foot pocket size/ease of putting on-off/foot pocket better support)?
3. How the new material compares to the lightning jet in terms of rebound or snap? And does the neutral bouyant material feel different?

Thanks

SangP

SangP:
Hi theskull,

I'm also interested in getting the rocket II however, I've heard the fins are a little too stiff for comfort and I would really like to know how the Rocket II compares to the jets in these areas.

1. Performance (speed & maneuverability with the vents in opposit direction)?
2. Comfort (foot pocket size/ease of putting on-off/foot pocket better support)?
3. How the new material compares to the lightning jet in terms of rebound or snap? And does the neutral bouyant material feel different?

Thanks

SangP

I made a couple dives in my new Super Rocket II fins today. WOW!

Now do make note that the majority of my "WOW" rating is that they are the most comfortable fin I have ever worn--on MY feet--doesn't mean they will be the best for you. Now to answer the above questions:
1. Performance is marginally better than the orignal Super Rockets, so that would put it marginally behind the Jets.
2. Foot pocket size is just wide enough to make them go on and off very easily without being so wide that there is any side-to-side play--again, that's on MY feet, with size 10 1/2 Rock Boots. Same thing with the top to bottom size of the foot pocket. Big plus is the depth of the foot pocket and the new extended bottom edge which also improves leverage and support over any paddle fins I have worn. I'm not a design engineer, but I doubt that the direction of the slope of the vents makes any difference whatever.
3. Not neutrally buoyant, just a little less negative than the originals, which were quite negative. Didn't perceive any difference here. The material is a little more flexy, I believe. Still feel stiff, but I think I feel a rebound flex on the kick that gives a bit more propulsion--could just be the "new fins, must be better" placebo effect.
****They do have a pair of drain holes. So if it comforts you to carry an extra 5 lbs. of water in your fins all the way back to the car I suppose you could duct tape the holes shut, or Aquaseal them.****

Additional note: I used L/XL Manta spring straps on all my OTHER fins. Due to the deep foot pocket I needed the Sm/Med size Mantas on the Super Rocket II.

theskull

Hi theskull,

I'm glad that the thread I started actually did some good and you were able to get some real comfy fins.

Maybe I should bug my local LDS to bring em in sooner so I too can see how well they fit.

Best regards.

SangP

SangP:
Hi theskull,

I'm glad that the thread I started actually did some good and you were able to get some real comfy fins.

Maybe I should bug my local LDS to bring em in sooner so I too can see how well they fit.

Best regards.

SangP

Yes, you were a great help. My LDS couldn't find them in their catalog or online, but thanks to having the catalog number from your posted description they were able to order them for me over the phone with no trouble.

BTW-another note. They smell REALLY bad. I'm sure that will go away as the plasticizers evaporate out of the new rubber compound.

theskull

LOL!!!!!

I really glad that the links help but... The smell is something I don't want to know bout :lol:!!!
I hope it isn't as bad as this :toilet :lol2: !!

I don't know if this will help but maybe you have a tube of cheap tooth paste, you could rub it all over the fins and keep them soaked in the stuff for an hour or two?

I don't have a clue it this will harm the fins or not so I suggest asking around. I use toothpaste whenever I have to get rid of the stink of fish slime asap.

Anyway happy finning.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom