Jets v/s Turtels v/s Rockets v/s Rockets2??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debitthis

Registered
Reaction score
For all devotes of the black rubber... What is it that you really like about your fins? Why are Jets (slipstreams) better than the rest? Yah, Yah, Turtles come in XXL for big boots, Is that the only reason you like them? Did you try any of the other "Classic" designs before you found your bliss?

Background - If you are interested:
All of my dives (~35) have been done using my hard plastic Dacor Trackers. They have decent response , but after diving the Cenotes and feeling myself and seeing others bump/scratch the walls and formations a few times, I'd like to make doubly sure I won't do any damage wherever I go.

I see the wisdom in the tech/cave divers choice of a short, wide, semi-rigid fin. I would just like to know if there is anything that differentiates the contenders.

I just gave up trying to figure it out and ordered SP Jets. On other posts they seem to be the ones mentioned favoribly most often.

All I know is my feet were always light. I got SP Jets w/ spring straps and never looked back. They cured what ailed me.

Yeah, my Turtles only come in one size. But that's OK. My feet only come in one size.

I like how the Turtles are just the right heavy that I can put some air in my feet to loft my Weezle booties and keep the tootsies warm without dropping the feet.

I like how almost no one is Spokane knows what a Turtle fin is, and they assume that my kick (some convolute sideways thing they've never seen) must be the result of the old-fashioned fin (obviously I can't afford a split).

But best of all, I like how they turn tight like a Ferrari.

...Did I mention, they're black?

The differences are most guys who usually have bigger feet than women buy the turtles. Women are usually told the jets are not as sloppy with the foot movement as we have smaller feet and can still use them for the same fluid movement as the turtles. I used to use split fins until I found it was not as easy to make manuvers with them good for speed and thats all.

debitthis:
I just gave up trying to figure it out and ordered SP Jets. On other posts they seem to be the ones mentioned favoribly most often.

Let us know how you like it.

I always wish I was diving with my Jets whenever I wasn't in them. :D

I just got them via UPS today. Boy, are they heavier than my plastic Trackers. I will try them out on Sat. and let you know what I think.

Have fun with them ... personally I find my jets to be stiffer than my turtles. Seems like the general consensus is the same with regards to rockets as well. Still Turtles fit a "nitch" (albeit quite a large nitch) between the XL and XXL Jets.

btw - when I bought mine the LDS wanted tried to warn me away from those "cinder blocks" and lots of folks feel like they are wearing a couple of bricks on their feet at first, but after a few dives I couldn't imagine going back to my light plastic fins (as a snorkeler before I took up diving)

Aloha, Tim

I'm going to be trying my rockets out this weekend in Brockville. And I went through the same thing as kidspot when I got started. My lds told me things like these were too heavy and would feel like bricks. It's why I ended up with a set of the old blades for my first fins. Actually have two sets. So yeah I like them but for the direction my diving is going they are actually too long and a little more flexible than I'd like. The only thing with the rockets is they don't fit my drysuit boots. But I solved that by just snagging a pair if super rockets(bigger foot pockets) on ebay last night.

These are muscle car fins. They have power and weight. I finally am able to float upright on the surface. The power is cool and like others have posted in threads, frog kicks really work well. I did need to get used to the width when flutter kicking. My fins slapped each other quite a bit at first.

Unfortunately I ordered the wrong size so half way through the dive my feet really started to hurt from the squeeze. I have size 10 feet and used 3mm wetsuit boots. Large Jets are too small for me. The sizing chart on LP is alot closer to bare foot fit I think. I went bare foot on the second dive and they fit fine.

Although the weight is nice for standing me upright, If I go up to XL I think it might wear on me late in dives. I am going to try the OMS clones since they are supposedly made of lighter rubber.

Back
Top Bottom