Jet Fin sizing? I've done many searches, and need more advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharlesAFerg

Registered
Reaction score
Sizing for the jets is confusing as all hell, by the way. I've been looking at old threads religiously for two days now and have a better idea, but still haven't seen anything that really shows me what I can feel comfortable about.

From what I understand, if I wear a size 12 boot I'll need an XXL if I'm wearing a heavy boot like a utility boot or drysuit boot, correct? With that said, if I am wearing a thin bootie(3mm?), will I be able to get away with the XL Jet fin?

Over all, I wear a size 12 shoe, but my foot is relatively thin and long. What can be said about fitment for me? Should I buy a thin bootie and try to fit into the XLs? If I decide to wear heavy boots, I'll buy another fin for that, I would like to do some strength training in the pool with Jets.

EDIT:
Also, on the scubapro website, the fitment is as follows...
I'm assuming I would fit what is bold? Also, I feel boot thickness would have a lot to do with it. Which thickness do you recommend?
Jet Fins...
"Available sizes: M/7-8, L/9-10, XL/11-12, XXL/13-14, XXXL 15-16"

Twin jets
"Sizes: S/6-8, M/8-10, L/9-12, XL/11-13"

If I can't fit properly into Jets, what size Turtle/OMS Slipstream fins should I consider?

Sizing for the jets is confusing as all hell, by the way. I've been looking at old threads religiously for two days now and have a better idea, but still haven't seen anything that really shows me what I can feel comfortable about.

From what I understand, if I wear a size 12 boot I'll need an XXL if I'm wearing a heavy boot like a utility boot or drysuit boot, correct? With that said, if I am wearing a thin bootie(3mm?), will I be able to get away with the XL Jet fin?

Over all, I wear a size 12 shoe, but my foot is relatively thin and long. What can be said about fitment for me? Should I buy a thin bootie and try to fit into the XLs? If I decide to wear heavy boots, I'll buy another fin for that, I would like to do some strength training in the pool with Jets.

EDIT:
I'm assuming I would fit what is bold? Also, I feel boot thickness would have a lot to do with it. Which thickness do you recommend?
Jet Fins...

Twin jets

If I can't fit properly into Jets, what size Turtle/OMS Slipstream fins should I consider?

Hi I wear a size 13shoe, i have a tilos platinum wetboot. It has a thick sole. I use the oms slipstream fins size xxl with spring straps. Call extreme exposure and ask them for exact sizing, they are a very knowledgeable group. hope that this helps.

Over all, I wear a size 12 shoe, but my foot is relatively thin and long. What can be said about fitment for me?

I am guessing XL will work but you may also ultimately opt for the XXL dependant upon usage...

I have size 12 door bashers and I used the XL Jetfins with my wet suit booties (3 mil?) and XXL Jetfins when I am diving dry in my Viking Extream.

I am now using the APS Mantaray fins and I am considering selling my Jets because they are soo heavy.

You could do what I did. Yeah, I know... it's cheating... shoot me (LOL).

I found the brand that I wanted online and then went to my LDS to try a pair on for sizing. I found my size, told the LDS that I would "think about it," then went home and bought the correct size online.

For what it's worth, I wear a size 12 shoe and a 3mm Henderson bootie. A Mares XL fit me wonderfully.

EDIT: I would have bought the fins at my LDS if the price would have been even close to what it was on the Web.

Last edited:
Aerosynth, I'll withhold judgment... What was the price in the lds vs online?

I know that the twin jets I originally looked at were 189 locally, and 124+ship(~$15)[~$140 TC] online. I feel no guilt whatsoever doing what he did when I find my size. It's one thing to support a local business to pay ~$20 more at most, but $50+? That's not even borderline stupid, it's just dumb.

Cracks me up when this comes up in any post about buying gear. :rofl3: Would it matter if he bought from an online retailer that IS an LDS? Scuba.com and scubatoys.com are LDS facilities and large online retailers. While it may not be his LDS, they are still an LDS to those in the area. They just chose to increase their sales volume by the same means available to any other LDS. Perhaps my last online purchase what from an LDS in his area. What about used? Should we not buy/sell used gear since it takes away from the LDS?

To the OP, try on the sizes, get the prices. Let your LDS know what you find and see if they'll make it worth buying there. Just be careful on sizing online. Make sure you can return the item.

EDIT:
Jet Fins...

Twin jets

Hi Charles,

Pick the dive boot first, then fit the fin to the boot.

My feet are about 12 1/2 (oddball size) so I typically wear size 13 shoes. With a "thinish" boots (3mm?) XXL Jets were a little loose & wobbly side-to-side; I went to a 5mm Pinnacle dive boot with a thick sole (looks like a running shoe sole), and the XXL's are a perfect fit....

What does this mean to you?

1. Pick the dive boot first. Did I say that already? :wink: The boot needs to be a comfortable fit... like a good-fitting shoe. And should be of appropriate thickness for where you intend to dive.

2. Fit the fin to the boot. Not vice versa.... I ended up buying a thicker set of dive boots because I didn't follow my own rule (I love the 5mm boots with their heavy soles, so it ended well...)

You may be able to wear an XL Jet with thin-to-medium thickness boots. What I recommend is (if ordering online) is again, pick the boot first, then ask a sales rep to actually try fitting the boot into the XL Jet; that will at least give a ballpark idea..... but then you'll need to try them on.

So, make sure you fully understand the exchange/return policy if you need to get a different size.

Good luck, and Best Wishes.

Back
Top Bottom