Jet Fin sizing? I've done many searches, and need more advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey on_two_wheels, assume much? you know what they say... I have bought 70%+ of my gear online because the prices are generally much better. My first set of gear was a set of used gear I bought from a friend of a friend, so no I dont have a problem with either way of purchasing gear. My post was speaking to the fact that knowingly going in and using a LDSs gear to try on when you already know you are going to purchase online is just not a very classy thing to do. So yes, I do know the general consensus of people on SB when the topic of purchasing online comes up, and I do not subscribe to it.

hey on_two_wheels, assume much? you know what they say... I have bought 70%+ of my gear online because the prices are generally much better. My first set of gear was a set of used gear I bought from a friend of a friend, so no I dont have a problem with either way of purchasing gear. My post was speaking to the fact that knowingly going in and using a LDSs gear to try on when you already know you are going to purchase online is just not a very classy thing to do. So yes, I do know the general consensus of people on SB when the topic of purchasing online comes up, and I do not subscribe to it.

I'll publicly acknowledge I assumed. When you start with "I'll withhold judgement" and only question the online vs. LDS, it's a reasonable assumption. Nonetheless, I'll also publicly apologize for said assumption.

You could do what I did. Yeah, I know... it's cheating... shoot me (LOL).

I found the brand that I wanted online and then went to my LDS to try a pair on for sizing. I found my size, told the LDS that I would "think about it," then went home and bought the correct size online.

Thats as tacky as it gets.

On_two_wheels, it's all good man! It's a pretty easy assumption to make by the way I wrote the post and the many support your lds posts on SB. :)

ktomilson: It was about a $60 price difference. I love supporting small businesses and all, but being as I am not exactly independently wealthy, a big discount like that really helps my pocketbook. However, I honestly don't feel too bad about it because I have thrown quite a bit of dough to the LDS in question for other gear, and of course training.

Hi Charles,

Pick the dive boot first, then fit the fin to the boot.

My feet are about 12 1/2 (oddball size) so I typically wear size 13 shoes. With a "thinish" boots (3mm?) XXL Jets were a little loose & wobbly side-to-side; I went to a 5mm Pinnacle dive boot with a thick sole (looks like a running shoe sole), and the XXL's are a perfect fit....

What does this mean to you?

1. Pick the dive boot first. Did I say that already? :wink: The boot needs to be a comfortable fit... like a good-fitting shoe. And should be of appropriate thickness for where you intend to dive.

2. Fit the fin to the boot. Not vice versa.... I ended up buying a thicker set of dive boots because I didn't follow my own rule (I love the 5mm boots with their heavy soles, so it ended well...)

You may be able to wear an XL Jet with thin-to-medium thickness boots. What I recommend is (if ordering online) is again, pick the boot first, then ask a sales rep to actually try fitting the boot into the XL Jet; that will at least give a ballpark idea..... but then you'll need to try them on.

So, make sure you fully understand the exchange/return policy if you need to get a different size.

Good luck, and Best Wishes.

Picking the booties 1st is wonderful advise!
I changed my straps to the spring straps & found that the fins were too loose... Brought the fins to the shop & tried on booties & bought a new pair. However, when I started finning, found that the fins were then too tight! Arghhh... In the end, swapped fins with my hubby... :dork2:

Picking the booties 1st is wonderful advise!
I changed my straps to the spring straps & found that the fins were too loose... Brought the fins to the shop & tried on booties & bought a new pair. However, when I started finning, found that the fins were then too tight! Arghhh... In the end, swapped fins with my hubby... :dork2:

lol! Good to know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom