Job forcing move to OAHU

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joddie:
hank,
thanks for all the surfing info I am gonna give it another try. why not its surfing paradise right! as for surfing over diving we will see I love diving so that is going to be hard to make me not dive and just surf....

again thanks for all the info

joddie

You're welcome. If you do take lessons, my daughter's boyfriend teaches at Waikiki. His name is Sam Richey. I didn't take a foral lesson. You start out a "kook" and don't get much sympathy from other surfers. Just show respect and don't drop in on anyone and you'll get along fine.

whitedragon thanks for those links I'm now realizing how exspensive it is there, from the the looks of it I will have to work 3 jobs, maybe not.

I really have to start looking for a place to live I guess, Jan. is coming quick

hank when i get my feet on the ground I will contact you to see if he is up to do some teaching

thanks for all the really great info about the island .......so what about the diving and the LDS around? come on I really cant wait...keep the info coming please

thanks
joddie

joddie:
whitedragon thanks for those links I'm now realizing how exspensive it is there, from the the looks of it I will have to work 3 jobs, maybe not.

I really have to start looking for a place to live I guess, Jan. is coming quick

hank when i get my feet on the ground I will contact you to see if he is up to do some teaching

thanks for all the really great info about the island .......so what about the diving and the LDS around? come on I really cant wait...keep the info coming please

thanks
joddie

If you are looking for great warm water diving, you will love Oahu. Between the half-dozen shipwrecks (including a WWII minesweeper and Corsair Fighter plane), the year round warm water (some divers never wear a wetsuit), the lava tubes and canyons, the friendly turtles, the 100'+ visiblility, etc. there's plenty to like.

Six months ago, on my way from Fiji, I stopped by Oahu and still haven't continued my travels.

I now work as an scuba instructor for a local shop, See in Sea Scuba. (www.seeinsea.com) We are always looking for Dive Masters Candidates and DMs to assist us in classes, dive charters, etc. The only qualification is that you have to really enjoy diving. Well, that and hanging out on the beach barbequing, playing guitar and drinking beer.

I just read a post on this message board about our shop that I am a bit proud of, so I am going to include the link. http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=630880&postcount=19

Feel free to write me at the shop if you have any questions or want some more information on the local diving.

Welcome to Hawaii,
Travis

Learn surfing? If you've got access to Wheeler, then you can get onto Bellows on the other side of the island (Waimanalo). Bellows AFB is partially open to the public on weekends and holidays but there's a secured military recreation center just past the public area. The whole area is a great place to learn to surf -- lots of sand, shallow, small waves -- just watch out for the Portuguese man-o-war that frequently gets blown in by the tradewinds. There's also a paintball outfit in the rec area; they cater to beginners, kids, and groups, just for fun -- hardcore competitive Rambos and Rambettes with paint machineguns are not generally welcome. There's also some great ghost stories about the place, particularly right where the public area begins. There's also a secured Waianae Rec Center on the west side; in Waianae (duuhhhh). You could try surfing there too. I recall that they had a 14-16ft Boston Whaler to rent but only if you're licensed by the USCG; don't know if the boat's still there.

Yep, it's expensive to live here. It helps to have WalMart, Costco, and the base exchanges. Do check out the new Navy Exchange building just outside of Pearl Harbor; Wyland did a spectacular mural right in the "superdome" entryway.

Just remembered: If it's possible, ask for a tour of the Red Hill naval underground storage facility. It's probably the least known engineering marvel of the past century; certainly, many locals don't know of its existence (it was de-classified in the 1980's I believe). Basically, it's 20 huge fuel storage bunkers dug under the mountain ridge just west of Tripler Hospital. "Huge" is barely the word; each bunker is a cylinder about 250ft high and about 30ft in diameter -- and there's 20 of 'em! A pipeline runs from there to Pearl Harbor; the intent was to provide fuel for the fleet duriing WWII. Here's an almost nothing blurb about it: http://www.asce.org/history/build_redhill.swf

captain cook thanks for all the info on the shop I will come by when I get there

justleesa i'm still looking at all those lds and thanks for all the links oh by the way I have someone finding the slicksuits you were looking for

bluemagoo I dont know much about wheeler now I know alot more thanks for all the info you gave me some things to check out for sure

Big Thanks to everyone that has helped me with great info

joddie

joddie:
justleesa i'm still looking at all those lds and thanks for all the links oh by the way I have someone finding the slicksuits you were looking for
WOOHOO!!! that would be GREAT! I'll take you diving when you get here!!!!!!!! :10: This is what we need them for....

Back
Top Bottom