Joining the US Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As usual, Rick, you tell it like it is (Thanks!)

I would go in the Navy as you signed and pledged you would. Stand by your word. No doubt Basic training will be tough...its meant to be...but you'll learn more about yourself and what you are capable of if you give it your all and do what you need to get through it. I wouldn't trade my experience of Basic training for anything...I learned more about myself and what I could accomplish there than anywhere else in such a short time.

Jim

I would confirm this with a lawyer ... but I think that if you are DEP then you somewhat have an out. I joined when 18, a few years ago now, but AFTER we did the final paperwork they told us that all the initial stuff commited us to was a military commitment of 6 yrs. It could be reserve, national guard, or any branch of the military. YMMV since that was 1976 and it has probably changed.

That said, grow up and be a man, and do what's right - stick to your word! But if you're going to act like a sissy they would rather not have you anyway.

navy bootcamp is not very tough to get through,the hardest thing i had to do was run 2.5 miles,25 push ups and 50 situps.The mental part was a little harder,i dont regret serving one bit sometimes wished i had stayed in,the only regret i had was not joining the seals when they tried to recruit me,will always wonder if i could have made it with the seal teams.

divinginn:
navy bootcamp is not very tough to get through,the hardest thing i had to do was run 2.5 miles,25 push ups and 50 situps.The mental part was a little harder,i dont regret serving one bit sometimes wished i had stayed in,the only regret i had was not joining the seals when they tried to recruit me,will always wonder if i could have made it with the seal teams.
Bootcamp will be a breeze compaired to dive school. :wink:

Gary D.

Is it cold feet or anxiety of what you are about to embark on? Many are like that when you realize the big step you're going to take. Don't sell yourself short. Man, I'd kill to get that chance, and I live in NY.

With all the current concern of the ethics of war, I can understand a person who signed up for military service 2 or 3 years earlier might reconsider his initial decision. There is more here than simply cold feet.

I'd rather give up my life for my country or for a moral cause, than to waste a life or limb on another country's civil war.

Let's back off and not pass judgement on this young man. I'm just glad I am not in the service today. My colleagues and classmates are over in Iraq right now, and my full support is for them, but not the current war and the decision to enter it.

fisherdvm:
With all the current concern of the ethics of war, I can understand a person who signed up for military service 2 or 3 years earlier might reconsider his initial decision. There is more here than simply cold feet.

I'd rather give up my life for my country or for a moral cause, than to waste a life or limb on another country's civil war.

Let's back off and not pass judgement on this young man. I'm just glad I am not in the service today. My colleagues and classmates are over in Iraq right now, and my full support is for them, but not the current war and the decision to enter it.

I don't understand, It's OK to die to maintain the freedom of your own country but not to give others that same freedom?

fisherdvm:
My colleagues and classmates are over in Iraq right now, and my full support is for them, but not the current war and the decision to enter it.
I love that statement... "I support you, but not what you are doing..." My feelings about that statement: It's a cope out...

What you are really saying... "I feel sorry for them, but not enough to back them in their mission..." Honestly, it seems as if that statement gives more comfort to the enemy that to the servicemen.

Countless leaders of the North Vietnemise goovernment during the war have since explicitly stated that the greatest reason for their victory was the knowledge that in the US ther was so much opposition to the war. If not for that they would have lost the will to fight because after Tet they were beaten. Knowing their enemy had no heart to continue the fight while in a better statigic position allowed them to continue theirs.

Yes, Iraq is becoming another Vietnam in many aspects and it seems that the same mistakes will be played out again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom