Jon-Line use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving on the Henry C Daryaw last Fall, there were about 14 divers on our boat , plus another had pulled along side and tied up.

When it came time to do our stops, my Jon line was mighty handy,. For those who don't know the Daryaw, it's a waving flag hang. (1 1/2 - 2 knots current) I was glad I had my Jon line. The down line was ok below 20 ft but it was realy crouded at 10-15 ft. I just hooked on and set the length to 8 ft and hung away from the croud.

I Use the SS Hook (Like a giant hair pin) and a bolt snap. Its looped together with 8 ft of 1 inch nylon strap , kept tight with a 1 inch piece of bicycle inner tube. I just pull it our, hook on, pay out and snap to my D ring.

Great for long hangs or heavy current.

Mike D

mddolson once bubbled...
I was diving on the Henry C Daryaw last Fall, there were about 14 divers on our boat , plus another had pulled along side and tied up.

When it came time to do our stops, my Jon line was mighty handy,. For those who don't know the Daryaw, it's a waving flag hang.

Been there, done that....

DivingGal once bubbled...

If there's only a couple of you on the desent line no problem, but as Walter says, when there's a crowd -- the line is very useful, in a current or without.

Why would you do a stop on the way down?? Would you not use it on the ascent line?? LOL --just having fun diving gal

GTADiver once bubbled...

Why would you do a stop on the way down?? Would you not use it on the ascent line?? LOL --just having fun diving gal

oops wrong name... same line. :D

But it sort of raises the question -- other than using a jon line during your "hanging time", and using it as a buddy line during not so great viz conditions -- when else would you use a jon line?

I'm swimming along, not hunting, but see a nice flounder. I have no gun, no stringer. I do have a knife, so I gig the fish, take out my buddy line and use it as a stringer.

Next use?

I'm tired of swimming, I see Walter below, not paying attention cuz he's too busy giggin flounders.

So out comes my jon line, loop it over his tank valve and secure it to my scooter ring and let him tow me around for a while.

<taking a closer look at exactly how big that knife is he's using first>

Next use?

Cave Diver once bubbled...
...So out comes my jon line, loop it over his tank valve and secure it to my scooter ring and let him tow me around for a while....

Don't laugh, I've seen Walter do exactly that... ask NetDoc, TexasMike, Bev ... I've have picture proof.

In the few dives I'v had with Walter, I've only been able to catch him once unaware, most of the time he's so aware of what's going on, you can't do it without him noticing it.

DivingGal once bubbled...

But it sort of raises the question -- other than using a jon line during your "hanging time", and using it as a buddy line during not so great viz conditions -- when else would you use a jon line?
Two common uses:
1) suspending a few beers/cans of coke in the water to cool them off for that after dive social
2) for carrying a bunch of BC's from the pool back to a vehicle after doing a scuba experience.

In rescues, it's my preferred method of towing a conscious diver. Loop the line around the tank valve and tow from a safe distance. The rescurer is safer and it is less exhausting than other methods of towing a panicked diver.

CD,

One of my favorites!

June,

You gotta admit, I covered it well making you think I was on to you the whole time.

Next use?

Cave Diver once bubbled...
So out comes my jon line, loop it over his tank valve and secure it to my scooter ring and let him tow me around for a while.

...ahh yes I can see it now. The "CD manouver" will become a famous addition to all topgun cave diver training: "backup scooter, check, ninja line... errrr jon line for emergency deployment, check, extra knife to deal with unhappy buddy, check....so students, after your two scooters and your buddies two scooters die and you have exhausted your buddy's swimming ability, at least one of you will get out, provided your knife is longer than his..."

Walter: Interesting thought for rescue tow. I have a shorter line with loops at each end to help secure things to my lift bag bolt clip - I can see replacing that with an 8 footer with loops at each end and a fastener for anchor lines.

Mike: wouldn't you need a massive bolt snap to get it on and off the St. Lawrence wreck lines. Is there a tendency for it to slip up/down in a heavy current...I suppose a foot or two is manageable...

Thank-you one and all for your novel, insightful - dare I say entertaining - suggestions...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom