Jungle Drums

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The old name for narcosis was Rapture of the Deep but as I understand my reading on this, it doesn't suddenly start at 80 ft, 100, 120, or whatever. It starts slightly at 1 foot and increases gradually with increased depth - with noticeable effects having more dramatic impact on some dives around 100 ft and beyond.

I've been below 100 feet many times, as far as 160 ft, and have never noticed anything dramatic - as it just varies with different divers, and different dives for the same diver. I've known others who said that fish have talked to them and walls have sung to them, but I just remind myself constantly that I am affected even if I don't feel it.

Actually, I probably enjoy the slight narcotic buzz I get from it, with this being just one more reason to dive. :alien:

Does it really matter whether you're on 21% EANx or 36% EANx? I don't think it does

Id venture to say that more oxagen in the mix would result in less narcosis, since the percentage of nitrogen you are breating is less. Isn't this one reason for using nitrox?

-Matt

Most people seem to believe oxygen is as narcotic as nitrogen. Therefore, using nitrox would do nothing to ease narcosis.

mxracer19:
Id venture to say that more oxagen in the mix would result in less narcosis, since the percentage of nitrogen you are breating is less. Isn't this one reason for using nitrox?

-Matt

Getting narced less is an old wives tale, along with it's for only for deep dives.

Using Nitrox gives you more bottom time & extra saftey margin if you use it right.

Isn't getting narced and when you get narced pretty much and inexact science? Some people are susceptible to it and some aren't as much? In some cases, the symptons are not recognized unless it gets obvious (drumming, tunnel vision, etc.).

Remember the rule of thumb, one martini for every 50 fsw? Well, I'll get drunk on one martini (... cheap date ... :11: ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom