Junior Open Water Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelLA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 14 year old nephew has recently completed his Open Water course and dives but much to our surprise he received the Junior Open Water C-card and we were never alerted of this.

What's done is done, and they leave for a trip tomorrow, and I was just inquiring on two questions- I've read that you must be 10-14 to be given Junior Open Water, so does that still put him- at 14- to be Junior Open Water?

I've also read that certain ages must stick to 40' with a DM, and over a certain age of JOW you may dive to the OW limit with a DM?

Firstly, this can be answered differently based on certification agencies. Assuming this is PADI (given JOW), your 14 year old will have only received the Junior C-Card because until 15, he will be classified as junior. He will instantly receive his OpenWater once his 15th birthday has passed. He will then be allowed to dive to 60 ft/18m.

As for now, he will be capped at 40 ft/12m, and under PADI guidelines will be advised to dive with a PADI professional (again, until he turns 15 and becomes Openwater).

Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years old must dive with a certified adult.

On the other hand...

Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years old must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres /40 feet.

Does this mean the cap of 60ft then applies? Or does the cap of 40ft apply?

If it is a PADI certification,

Age — 12 to 14 Year Olds
Depth – Maximum 18 metres/60 feet for Junior Open Water
Divers. Maximum 21 metres/70 feet for continuing education.
After certifi cation – Must dive with an adult certified diver
Responsibility and Risk – Parent/guardian and child sign
administrative forms

That is straight from the current instructor manual.

So PADI says 12 yr olds are cool to 70 feet depth if being trained... WOW, I'm not up on all the new guidelines

Of course it all depends where you are going on your trip.

There are places in this wide world who will happily take a 10 or 11 year old to 120 feet.

If it is a PADI certification,

Age — 12 to 14 Year Olds
Depth – Maximum 18 metres/60 feet for Junior Open Water
Divers. Maximum 21 metres/70 feet for continuing education.
After certifi cation – Must dive with an adult certified diver
Responsibility and Risk – Parent/guardian and child sign
administrative forms

That is straight from the current instructor manual.

Can you provide a link to the instructor manual portion that shows this? Per PADI's website (linked in my first post):
"Junior Open Water Diver (ages 10-14)

Young people can take the full PADI Open Water Diver scuba certification course and upon completion will become Junior Open Water Divers with certain age limitations for scuba diving:

* Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years old must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres /40 feet.
* Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years old must dive with a certified adult. "

I'm not clear as to whether the 40 foot recommended limit is only for 10 and 11 year olds or if it applies to all JOW up to 14 years of age. Please note that these are all recommendations. It is really up to the parent/diver to determine whether the limits should be strictly adhered to or if the minor can dive more advanced dives.

I believe the depth is recommended. My son has been JOW certified since he was 11
We have always tried to keep him within his recommended depth range but that has been our choice not the Dive Shop or dive masters. I am sure we could have taken him down on the wall dives in the Caribbean to 100+ if we wanted. We made the choce to stay shallower than that but it was a personal choice.

B.

Can you provide a link to the instructor manual portion that shows this? Per PADI's website (linked in my first post):

Pg 23 of the 2011 IM. Under Diver Age Restrictions Key Standards

Back
Top Bottom