Jupiter 2010 - Ongoing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fritz - Here's a picture of my lionfish spear.

Lionfish_Spear.jpg

It's about 24" long and has a trident tip on it.

Bravo, Fritz! :clapping:

Congrats and nice report!

3) I got the "lionfish tip" for mine, which is a single, thick point. But I'm thinking something with two or three narrower tines might be better. Dunno.

I've suggested to a few people that sliding some sort of small plastic or metal collar (like piece of pipe, key ring, or even a thick rubber band) over a 3 or 5 prong spear might allow you to adjust the "spread" of the tines for a variety of lionfish sizes. You might give that a try and see how it works.

I'm doing the three-tanker leaving from JDC this Sunday morning (Oct. 3). I've got one other diver from north Brevard riding along, room for a couple more; if anyone else from east central FL is interested in sharing the ride, just PM me - the more, the cheaper! Plenty of open spots on the boat as of this afternoon, and right now the forecast is for flat seas.

Hi! My husband and I are newly certified divers, and we've done a few dives in the Central FL area to get some practice in (local lakes, Alexander Springs). We'd really like to try some saltwater dives, but I'm a bit nervous since we're newbies. I've read some good things about the Jupiter area- would Jupiter be a good dive for us to get our feet wet with (no pun intended)? And, if so, would you recommend using the Jupiter Dive Center, or another dive shop? Will a dive guide be with us if we go on a day trip? I think I'd feel more comfortable with someone experienced there with us. If not Jupiter, do you suggest another location that would be a gentle intro to diving? :)
Thank you!
Heather

Hi! My husband and I are newly certified divers, and we've done a few dives in the Central FL area to get some practice in (local lakes, Alexander Springs). We'd really like to try some saltwater dives, but I'm a bit nervous since we're newbies. I've read some good things about the Jupiter area- would Jupiter be a good dive for us to get our feet wet with (no pun intended)? And, if so, would you recommend using the Jupiter Dive Center, or another dive shop? Will a dive guide be with us if we go on a day trip? I think I'd feel more comfortable with someone experienced there with us. If not Jupiter, do you suggest another location that would be a gentle intro to diving? :)
Thank you!
Heather

In my opinion, a regular reef drift dive (like many of the dives jupiter dive center does) wouldn't be too demanding at all. You just get in, stay with the group and pop up when you're done! You'll want to have a surface marker buoy (commonly termed "safety sausage") so you can inflate that to mark your located if you get lost from the group/dive flag. Jupiter is a little deeper than palm beach/boynton beach, i think the reefs in Jupiter are 60-80ft if I remember. I live in Boynton Beach, about 25min south of Jupiter, and dive almost every weekend, most of the reef here is 45-70 feet unless you're going on the outside (deeper, and less to see).

The 3 tank dive is really aimed at the more experienced diver. The 2 tank dives may be more appropriate for the newer diver

+1. The 3-tanker the other day really left us drained - although a lot of that was from the seas building all day to some real rock-n-roll, leading to lots of on-boat "gear wrestling". But all three dives were down to the 90' range, and were well worth it!

Boynton or Pompano won't be as deep, but the regular two-tanker from Jupiter is a great dive as well. The shallower dives down south do let you see more color in the reef, although you can also just bring a good dive light to Jupiter and use it even in the day.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom