Jupiter Dive Report 7/16-7/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weiland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

My company sent me to the Right Coast (Orlando) for some training and my wife suggested that I should extend the weekend and try to get in some diving. Man, this could be a trap is what I was thinking! I decided to risk the trap and take the free pass and finally do some warm water diving. An added bonus is that I could miss CARMAGEDDON! 99.99% of my diving has been in Southern California at the Channel Islands, so the idea of 80+ degree water seemed unbelievable to me since I'm used to sub-60 degree water and tons of neoprene/drysuit for protection. I made the drive down from Orlando on Friday evening and checked into Juno Beach for the night. The rain on the way down was insane - I'll take the seasonal brush fire over that.

I did 4 dives on Saturday and 2 more in the morning on Sunday with Jupiter Dive Center. JDC was more than accommodating and I'd definitely dive with them again. I think the dive sites that we did on Saturday were:

Tunnels
Bonnies
Scarface

Sunday was:

Scarface
and another site that I don't recall the name

I have to say I think I enjoyed Tunnels the most because there was tons of life on that dive. Critters seen were: Leatherbacks, loggerheads, monster nurse sharks, goliath groupers, Barracuda, reef sharks and many other reef fish that I couldn't even begin to try to name. Tunnels was also my first drift dive ever (on purpose), so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was surprised when we all jumped off the back of the boat in 2 single file lines like we were jumping out of an airplane on some sort of an attack mission. It was awesome when we started our decent thru 30, 40, 50+ feet to the bottom and it was still 80 degree water and 60+ feet of vis. All in I really enjoyed drift diving, but it made doing macro photography difficult. Because of the deeper sites and doing 4 dives on that Saturday I really had to watch my NDL later in the day. I had to pick and choose my times to dive deeper to try and get a shot of something. I'm used to sitting on the bottom and rattling off 10 shots on the same subject until I'm satisfied. I'm sure diving more there would make me a better photographer because I'd really have to think about my camera settings before attempting a shot.

Below are the pictures that came out. Any ID's of fish is much appreciated.

Greg

PS:
There was 1 Lionfish spotted and I tried to get a picture of it. I wish I had my dive knife with me because I'd have tried to stab it after. There was a diver who I've forgotten his name that tried to spear it, but he unfortunately missed.

thnx for the report

You could not go wrong with Jupiter Dive Center. Their Boat Captains and Dive Staff are extremely professional. Throw in great dive conditions, giant turtles, lots of sharks and lion fish and the dives are on.:)

Great pics and report! Jupiter diving, in MHO, is always exciting and fascinating. Your pics of the arrow crab, anenomenes, spotted moray, flamingo tongue honey combed cow fish, trumptet fish, morey eel, and other pics only begin to show the diversity of marine life we have in Jupiter. Hope you come dive with us again to truly enjoy the diversity Jupiter diving has to offer!

Nice photos!

Here are ID's on some of the fish (the easy ones because I'm not very expert):

Photo #3 = Neon blue goby (I think but am not sure)

Photo #7 Green moray eel

Photos #9 and #10 = Arrow crab (I think but am not sure)

Photo #12 = Scrawled cowfish

Photo #13 = Trumpetfish

Photo #16 = Flamingo tongue (that one has a fair bit of white, but oftentimes the spots cover the whole outer part).

Nice! So, are you still interested in cold water diving or are you a warm water convert?

Thank you JupiterMermaid and Blue Sparkle for the ID's. I forgot to mention that on my last dive, of course without taking my camera, I saw some sort of other rainbow crab and a mini yellow Blenny. I just happened to notice a puff of sand and went in to investigate. Staring back at me was the Blenny with it's little face and a cool set of "antlers"! I so wish that I could have gotten a picture of him.

Rich (TroupH20) - Why would I ever want to give up the opportunity of losing the feeling in my feet when doing a beach dive? Or, watching the newbies shiver after the 2nd dive on a cloudy March afternoon when we're diving dry? Seriously, I absolutely love Socal diving, but I could definitely see getting used to diving in warmer water.

Greg

Was it a blenny or a yellow-headed jawfish? We have a lot of the jawfish in Jupiter. We see the bleenies more often at Blue Heron Bridge, as they make their homes in discarded bottles and other hiding places. The jawfish have the holes is the sand that they dart in and out of. And yes, they are soooooo cute!

Being a warm water wuss is the best! :D

Was it a blenny or a yellow-headed jawfish? We have a lot of the jawfish in Jupiter. We see the bleenies more often at Blue Heron Bridge, as they make their homes in discarded bottles and other hiding places. The jawfish have the holes is the sand that they dart in and out of. And yes, they are soooooo cute!

Being a warm water wuss is the best! :D

I saw a jawfish on the 1st day popping in and out of his hole. The blenny was much smaller and I really had to get in close to him to see the details on his antlers. He was also making his home on the reef and not in the sand like the jawfish.

greg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom